Rejection slips from the old days

shoot the breeze. Movies, comics, potatoes. Whatever.

Moderators: Zombie Dave McCaig, Reber, Laura, Dean Welsh, Scott Johnson

Rejection slips from the old days

Postby Hollingsworth » Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:04 pm

Hey guys,

Still cleaning the apartment, and lo', what do I come across? Old rejection slips, that's what!!! Hahahahaha! I saved a bunch of them. Funny thing is, I ended up working *with* or *for* many of these folks later on, often at other companies. This will contain 13 of images, so sorry for any wait during load time. 13 is a good number, though. These are scans of the originals:

This one is from Marilee Hord. She later moved to Portland and went to work for Dark Horse. She dated Matt Haley for a while. She and I were staff together at Dark Horse in 1993 or 94. Later on, she left and pursued her music career, joining a band called Golden Delicious as fiddle player, with Pete Krebs from the Portland band Hazel.

Early on, I was trying to get work inking or coloring. Eventually, I settled on coloring only. Mike Carlin was the first guy at DC to give me work, on an Action Comics Annual in May of 1991.

I'd done some work that ended up being printed by Eclipse in 1990. It was a little book called Lil' Gruesome and was kind of a cheesy kids book. I inked and colored something like 48 pages in the summer of 1990, between second and third year of the Kubert School. Notably, I was on LSD when I colored the book. This work is what he's referring to, as far as having worked for them before. Never worked for Eclipse again, though.

Shelly Roeberg later went to Vertigo, where I worked with her on the Neil Gaiman mini series Death; The Time of Your Life and other books. She later married Phillip Bond and is now Shelly Bond. She had been Diana Schutz's assistent at Comico, when Mage was there. I later was staff with Diana at Dark Horse and am close friends with her to this day.

I'd been writing as well...

Anybody remember Jeff Easley's paintings from the old TSR Dungeons and Dragons guides? Nice paintings, if my memory is correct.

Bill Kaplan was Archie Goodwin's assistant for a while, and I ended up working with both of them on Legends of the Dark Knight, Batman/Punisher and other stuff.

Cannot recall, but I must have been all pretentious when I was 22!!! I ended up working with Kevin later on various books including Green Lantern.

I was very excited when I got this one, because it was the most positive response I'd gotten at that time. But, I never heard from them again. Ack!

Enjoy my folly.
Matt Hollingsworth

http://www.matthollingsworth.net/

"Once, during Prohibition, I was forced to live for days on nothing but food and water." ~W.C. Fields
Hollingsworth
Überzombie

Postby Nathan » Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:48 pm

Wow, Matt. I'm just psyching myself up to start sending out submissions packages (haven't even gotten to the point of seeing which publishers accept them or what their guidelines are). I'm sure once the rejection slips start to roll in, it'll help my self-esteem to know that even guys who are at the top of the biz now took a while to get their break.

Anyway, here's the only comparable rejection slip I've got. In addition to my coloring obsession, I'm also a writer. This is a rejection of a script of mine from Marvel's aborted EPIC program/imprint.

Holy shit, I just noticed that that rejection was sent out exactly 3 years ago. Interesting to think of what's changed and what hasn't in that time. Huh.

Anyway, thanks for sharing, Matt!
Nathan
this guy knows to do all outstanding

Postby Rob S. » Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:57 pm

Aaahhhh... that WACKY Kevin Dooley.
Rob S.
Pantsless Wonder

Postby Zombie Dave McCaig » Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:30 pm

These are great!

See kids? If you stick it out after getting rejection letters, you might yet become a Matt Hollingsworth.

Seriously, I bet a lot of people will be inspired by seeing these.

Good fortune and recognition of talent doesn't always just fall from the trees!
Prepare the mental-bleach solution of two parts whiskey to two parts whisky.
Zombie Dave McCaig
Clownshoes
Clownshoes

Postby splicer » Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:39 pm

Those were pretty intresting to read.
splicer
Lavender Boy

Postby Hollingsworth » Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:50 pm

Yeah, I really get a kick out of this stuff, especially to see what happened afterward, who went to what company, who I later becoming friends with etc etc. It's a major cleaning day here and going through this old stuff is pretty fun.

Found some more stuff to post in a minute here.
Matt Hollingsworth

"Once, during Prohibition, I was forced to live for days on nothing but food and water." ~W.C. Fields
Hollingsworth
Überzombie

Postby Hollingsworth » Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:52 pm

Whatever happened to him? I liked him. He was a fucking weird dude, but a lot of fun. I was at DC once for a fire drill (had to be 91 or 92, because I moved back to SoCal atfer that) and was in the hallway with him, and he was the best person to be there with because he was goofing around. Nice guy.

Rob S. wrote:Aaahhhh... that WACKY Kevin Dooley.
Matt Hollingsworth

Hollingsworth
Überzombie

Postby Dean Welsh » Sat Sep 09, 2006 6:45 pm

Thank you so much for posting this stuff.

Actually, if anyone has more they wouldn't mind sharing or knows anyone with thier own collection. I'll totally set up a website just for comic rejection letters.

-dean
John Rauch wrote:I think it's time to change your signature.
Dean Welsh
Magical Cowboy
Magical Cowboy

Postby Sinccolor » Sat Sep 09, 2006 6:49 pm

These are all great too! Ihave one buried around here fron DC for a character I submitted when I was around 10 years old. I'll see if I can dig it up.

Alex
Sinccolor
Überzombie

Postby odysseyroc » Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:53 pm

Sinccolor wrote:These are all great too! Ihave one buried around here fron DC for a character I submitted when I was around 10 years old. I'll see if I can dig it up.

Alex

Captain Porkyland?
odysseyroc
Überzombie

Postby Hollingsworth » Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:07 pm

Hey man,

You're welcome. I thought they'd be funny, but also inspiring. I'd TOTALLY love to see a bunch of others from folks. Marvel was often funny with how impesonal they were. Used to have one that I lost, where I sent in COLORS, and they sent me back guidelines for writing submission, and highlighted shit like I hadn't been paying attention or something. Er. Funny.

Another totally funny story for me:

I went o Marvel to try to get work in 1991. I was already working for Marcus McLaurin on Hellraiser doing some painted colors, but had not gotten any superhero stuff yet, no color guides for Marvel yet. Just DC. So, I go to Bob Budiansky's office for an appointment and show him my stuff. He's giving me a critique that's kind of not really that friendly. Like, he's trying to teach me a bit, but he's surly. He shows me Marie Javins stuff (who I later became sort of friends with) and is showing me how great it is. I listen and try to take it in. My next appointment is with Don Daley, the Punisher editor. So, I sit down and he goes through my stuff blazingly fast. I'm bummed, thinking I'm fucked. He says to me; "What are you doing RIGHT now?". I tell him nothing. He asks if he finds me some markers if I'll sit there and color some pages for him right there to help make a deadline. So, I help out. Marie Javins comes in and shows me what to do, because it's her book, Sleepwalker. So, I'm sitting there coloring, and in walks Bob Budiansky. He sees me coloring, looks at Don and asks, obviously *pissed* off, "What's he doing?" Turns out it's a book that Bob is writing. Don tells him I'm coloring the book and Bob storms off.

Hahahahahaha! Fucker!

Dean Welsh wrote:Thank you so much for posting this stuff.

Actually, if anyone has more they wouldn't mind sharing or knows anyone with thier own collection. I'll totally set up a website just for comic rejection letters.

-dean
Matt Hollingsworth

Hollingsworth
Überzombie

Postby Rob S. » Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:38 am

Yeah he was. I liked working for him.

Last I heard, he moved out west and went to work for his brother, who I think was a publisher of some sort.

Hollingsworth wrote:Whatever happened to him? I liked him. He was a fucking weird dude, but a lot of fun. I was at DC once for a fire drill (had to be 91 or 92, because I moved back to SoCal atfer that) and was in the hallway with him, and he was the best person to be there with because he was goofing around. Nice guy.

Rob S. wrote:Aaahhhh... that WACKY Kevin Dooley.
Rob S.
Pantsless Wonder

Postby SeanE » Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:53 am

*laughs hysterically*

"...we'll keep your records on file..."

yeah, right...

*files 'records' into the the filing cabinet labelled 'bin' under the desk*

I have yet to have ever heard from any employer in any regard aftre receiving a rejection letter. Even when the exact same job was readvertised for some reason.
http://www.seanellery.com

I colour stuff...
SeanE
I want the line art for that

Postby Hollingsworth » Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:37 am

Yeah, they certainly DO NOT keep a file of people they're rejecting. Why would they wanna look through a file of rejects? It's retarded.

SeanE wrote:*laughs hysterically*

"...we'll keep your records on file..."

yeah, right...

*files 'records' into the the filing cabinet labelled 'bin' under the desk*

I have yet to have ever heard from any employer in any regard aftre receiving a rejection letter. Even when the exact same job was readvertised for some reason.
Matt Hollingsworth

Hollingsworth
Überzombie

Postby Dean Welsh » Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:58 am

so far the best domain I've come up with that's available is
toobadsosad.com

If anyone thinks that's perfect or has a better idea, lemme hear it.
you can test whether it's available or not by hitting http://www.godaddy.com and doing a domain search.

-dean
John Rauch wrote:I think it's time to change your signature.
Dean Welsh
Magical Cowboy
Magical Cowboy

Next

Return to Sunshine and Rainbows