Dare Devil teams up with Deadpool

WIPs, finished stuff, it's all good. Anything posted is open for crits unless otherwise stated.

Moderators: Zombie Dave McCaig, Reber, Laura, Dean Welsh, Scott Johnson

Dare Devil teams up with Deadpool

Postby Seed » Fri Aug 29, 2003 5:27 am

Was not sure if i should post it here because i'm not really happy about this picture myself.....

Well it was just a practice if we are able to merge our styles in a way that other people can't tell which part was done by me or which part was done by warlockss.

Pencils: Roger Cruz
Colors: Optic colors

So can you tell ?
What did Seed in this pic?
What did warlockss ?

Post your thoughts please :)

i know this pic is not that good

Bye
Seed
Warlockss
Seed
Überzombie

Postby jeremiah:seven » Fri Aug 29, 2003 7:02 am

Okay, here's my guess.

Seed: Daredevil, Backgrounds, the guy at the top at the front of the three, the guy's arm under the signatures, and the blue leg on the left.

Warlockss: the rest.

Just a guess.

Also, why do you post pictures that are "not that good". You should post pictures that are your best, not only colourists visit these boards. Show your best.

Cheers
Send a man a link, and he'll waste an afternoon. Teach a man to google and he'll waste a lifetime.
jeremiah:seven
grand zombie

Postby Seed » Fri Aug 29, 2003 7:28 am

Also, why do you post pictures that are "not that good". You should post pictures that are your best, not only colourists visit these boards. Show your best.

Yeah that'S true. I was not sure if i should post it , but i did it cause i wanna see if the pros can distinguish our styles.

lol you can not.
Your guesses were all wrong except this leg.
*hint* uhm we didn't do it that random*hint*

Bye
Seed
Seed
Überzombie

Postby Gravence » Fri Aug 29, 2003 9:29 am

I like the fact that sometimes people show their not so good work...why? Because if we were so perfect there would be nothing to correct this way it shows more of your weakness and the crits are always better. I learned that from my old art teacher...she made us draw 10 quick scetches of random crap, trees, birds, people, buildings,stuff like that then she would look at the scketches and determine your weakness...speed, time proportion, detail. Well I probably don't know what I'm talking about my brain is mush...been up since 8am yesterday, insomnia sucks....
Gravence
grand zombie

Postby John Rauch » Fri Aug 29, 2003 10:11 am

I don't know your styles enough to distinguish who did what, but I will offer a few comments. First off, you gotta get the character's colors right. Deadpool wears Red and Black. His costume here looks like it's Orange and Grey. Daredevil's costume is intended to be almost Black, the Red is so dark. As it is now, he looks like the color Deadpool should be. Another thing that imediately jumps out at me is the lighting. The penciller and inker made an obvious effort to make the lighting here dramatic, yet yours just seems boring. The rendering is good, but there's been no effort to separate any of the characters from the scene or emphasize how over powering a spotlight would be in the middle of the night. Right now, it just looks like a darker version of mid day lighting, except for the ground, that is. The ground looks great. I hope this doesn't sound overly critical, it just seems like a lot more could be done to add some mood to this piece. The rendering is solid and gives it a certain level of realism, but I think it needs some mood.
John Rauch
Huffer of light

Postby WarLocKsS » Fri Aug 29, 2003 11:33 am

you call this black ?

heh

WarLocKsS
WarLocKsS
Fresh Meat

Postby John Rauch » Fri Aug 29, 2003 11:42 am

It's not worth arguing over. I'm just saying that looks a little too bright for being dark Red leather. If you don't want critiques, don't post. Also, if you guys ever plan on a publisher taking you seriously as colorists, you're gonna have to do some more sequentials.
John Rauch
Huffer of light

Postby WarLocKsS » Fri Aug 29, 2003 12:06 pm

thx eraserx :)

WarLocKsS
WarLocKsS
Fresh Meat

Postby Soto » Fri Aug 29, 2003 1:00 pm

Eraser's right about the DD thing.
His costume is so dark it boarders on black. The reason it doesn't look like that on that cover, is that you wouldn't be able to see it otherwise, and the red is used more for graphic effect than anything else. If the drawing of this ppiece that you guys colored had as strong a compistion, or the same attitude, you could make a case. but as it is now, this looks more like an interior splash than a cover (is it supposed to be a cover?). So, I think your point might not hold water. Also, look at all the dark areas that are indicated on DD's costume. The intention of the dynamic shadow is there, but like I said, you'd not be able to see it as a cover if it were done as a "red is so dark it's almost black" thing.
As for Deadpool, his costume is meant to be bright red and black (with grey hilights, not blue as I've often seen him colored). He's so flamboyant about his skills that he's daring you to try to kill him (whereas DD tries to mysteriously appear from the shadows to scare the crap outta you). At least that was the case when I was coloring the book. It's obvious that 2 different people colored DD and DP. Instead of trying to see if you can trick people into thinking there was only one color artist on this piece, or trying to ape/compromise your styles, try concentrating on some storytelling.
You guys are obviously talented enough with the technique, so start heading to the next step. If you need some artwork for seqs, email me and I'll be more than happy to send you some.

-Soto
Soto
The Food Themed Man

Postby Soto » Fri Aug 29, 2003 1:17 pm

BTW, DP's gloves and boots are supposed to be red, and DD has red eyes, not white. Do your research, guys.
Aside from that, if I had to hazard a guess, I'd say Warlock did DP and the guys up on top, and Seed did DD and the guys on the bottom.

-Soto
Soto
The Food Themed Man

Postby Seed » Fri Aug 29, 2003 3:36 pm

Thanks for the cool critics!

I did a very quick overpaint....warlockss has the finished file as psd so i had to take the jpeg o.O

just tried to focus it more on the to mainactors....and changed the gloves and the ciolor hues a bit.And i tried to make it easier to distinguish between shadows and characters, just made the shadows more "transperancy".

Thanks again great to "know" you guys or at least a place to meet you.

means much to me

Bye
Seed
Seed
Überzombie

Postby Soto » Fri Aug 29, 2003 7:51 pm

I'd suggest getting the .psd file from Warlock.
DP's feet are still grey (should be red) and DD's eyes are still white (should also be red).
The tone cast over the thugs is much better, I think.
There's more drama now, and the central figs pop better.
Now how about them seqs?

-Soto
Soto
The Food Themed Man

Postby Gravence » Fri Aug 29, 2003 9:01 pm

EraserX wrote:I don't know your styles enough to distinguish who did what, but I will offer a few comments. First off, you gotta get the character's colors right. Deadpool wears Red and Black. His costume here looks like it's Orange and Grey. Daredevil's costume is intended to be almost Black, the Red is so dark. As it is now, he looks like the color Deadpool should be. Another thing that imediately jumps out at me is the lighting. The penciller and inker made an obvious effort to make the lighting here dramatic, yet yours just seems boring. The rendering is good, but there's been no effort to separate any of the characters from the scene or emphasize how over powering a spotlight would be in the middle of the night. Right now, it just looks like a darker version of mid day lighting, except for the ground, that is. The ground looks great. I hope this doesn't sound overly critical, it just seems like a lot more could be done to add some mood to this piece. The rendering is solid and gives it a certain level of realism, but I think it needs some mood.

Hit every nail on the head...good crit!!
Gravence
grand zombie

Return to Public Gallery