Go Boy 7 inks

WIPs, finished stuff, it's all good. Anything posted is open for crits unless otherwise stated.

Moderators: Zombie Dave McCaig, Reber, Laura, Dean Welsh, Scott Johnson

Go Boy 7 inks

Postby John Rauch » Wed Aug 27, 2003 8:24 am

As some of you know, I'm working on a tutorial for Sketch Magazine. The actual tutorial that will print will be focused on some part of the digital coloring process. But, I wanted to create a tutorial showing the entire process from beginning to end of how I (atleast the way I'm doing it this time) go about digitally inking and coloring. This entire process will be featured on my site when I get it done, but I've already finished inking the piece I plan to use, so here it is for you all to see. I'm considering the inks finished, but I still love to hear your opinions, good or bad.

Finished Inks:

Original Pencils (by: Jon Sommariva):

John Rauch
Huffer of light

Postby monkey Mark » Wed Aug 27, 2003 10:22 am

good stuff E- X, love the eyebrows.

Is that computer inked or the old fashioned way?
monkey Mark
Fresh Meat

Postby John Rauch » Wed Aug 27, 2003 10:28 am

It was done digitally, but I don't try to advertise that since most people associate digital inking with a series of non-artistic button clicks. The way I ink digitally is very similar to the way I ink with real ink.
John Rauch
Huffer of light

Postby monkey Mark » Wed Aug 27, 2003 10:37 am

I understand what you mean, as some digitally inked stuff can look souless, but you got the line weights and variations, which is good.

A lot of digital inkers seem to want an outline around their figure, (presumably done as a stroke) thinking that they are aping artists like Dave Stevens and Adam Hughes but don't notice the subtle variation in the line.
monkey Mark
Fresh Meat

Postby Sunny Shah » Wed Aug 27, 2003 11:18 am

nice, reminds me of the guy that did the Impulse comicbook at the start, was it Humberto Ramos?
Sunny Shah
Fresh Meat

Postby Nicholas Burns » Wed Aug 27, 2003 5:10 pm

Inks generally look solid. I've got to ask why the blacks (and why black with a white halo) on the shape behind the figure? To my eye, those background blacks compete with the blacks on the figure and draw attention away from the intense gaze of the face which is already framed nicely by the black hair.
Nicholas Burns
Überzombie

digital inking

Postby TomServo » Wed Aug 27, 2003 6:05 pm

how exactly did you "digitally" ink that pic? I'm curious, I usually ink my stuff then scan, but that looks alot clearer than most of my ink scans (not that a trip to photoshop won't cure, but hey.)

just curious on how you digitally inked that.
TomServo
Fresh Meat

Return to Public Gallery