Brush test

WIPs, finished stuff, it's all good. Anything posted is open for crits unless otherwise stated.

Moderators: Zombie Dave McCaig, Reber, Laura, Dean Welsh, Scott Johnson

Brush test

Postby Mojo Chiba » Tue Aug 19, 2003 3:26 pm

I was fiddling around with brushes and trying to use them for different textures. I'll need to do more tests later.

Soul Reaver:
-Mojo Chiba

'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.
Mojo Chiba
Fresh Meat

Postby ChrisCox » Tue Aug 19, 2003 4:17 pm

It's a good start.

But it looks like you're still using round brushes, and you're brushing on color.

Try using some of the sampled brushes (chalk, drybrush, etc.), and try using blend modes to modify the tone (multiply, color burn, screen, color dodge).
ChrisCox
Überzombie

Postby Mojo Chiba » Tue Aug 19, 2003 4:50 pm

Thanks for the critique. I definitely need to work on blend modes, that will come somewhere down the line. As for the brushes, well everything was done with a custom brush except the sky (tho I might have used a custom brush for that, I can't remember). I made the brushes while I was working on the image to try and figure out the PS brush settings. There's still alot of playing to do with brushes, but I learned a good deal from this little test. Here's some details, since the shrunken image didn't really show any of it.

-Mojo Chiba

'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.
Mojo Chiba
Fresh Meat

Postby ChrisCox » Tue Aug 19, 2003 6:55 pm

OK - downsampling the image made the brush marks look more round than they were.
ChrisCox
Überzombie

Postby ChrisCox » Tue Aug 19, 2003 7:55 pm

OK, here is an example of painting a texture with "normal" blend mode, versus painting with more dynamic blend modes.
I used one brush throughout, all the same source colors, and I tried to make both halves match.

On the left is normal.
On the right is using various blend modes (Multiply, Screen, and a little Color Dodge and Color Burn),

Why does the left appear flat?
Because all that normal blend mode can do is give you something between what you're painting and what is there. You quickly obliterate old work and all you're left with is the new paint.
Essentially you're building something up in discrete layers (very visible in your rock textures). Sort of like painting with gouache.

Why does the right appear more dynamic?
Because the blend modes can create new hues, new saturations, and they keep mixing the new strokes with the old strokes so there is a more complex history. (well, it's more obvious at 300 dpi, but I had to make the image small enough to post)
Here, you're building something more like a transparent oil painting - there are layers, but there is also depth.
Oh, and it took less time than the one on the left.

PS. It isn't great art: I cooked this up in under 20 minutes.
ChrisCox
Überzombie

Return to Public Gallery