Supremly Powerful Preview

WIPs, finished stuff, it's all good. Anything posted is open for crits unless otherwise stated.

Moderators: Zombie Dave McCaig, Reber, Laura, Dean Welsh, Scott Johnson

Supremly Powerful Preview

Postby Soto » Fri Aug 01, 2003 8:24 pm

Hey guys.
Marvel put a preview up of the new Supreme Power #1.
I'm pretty jazzed considering the orders are so high (past the 100,000 mark) on the 1st issue.
I thought that since I don't usually post pics very often, I'd use one of the sites that it's posted to.
Here's the first few pages (w/dialogue)

-Soto
Soto
The Food Themed Man

Postby Fatboy3000 » Fri Aug 01, 2003 10:48 pm

Soto, these are pages that you should be proud to post, they're fantastic. You complement the art, enhancing but not overstating, subtlety with structure. Great job.
Fatboy3000
grand zombie

Postby Zombie Dave McCaig » Sat Aug 02, 2003 12:19 am

That kid better not fly and shoot beams out of his eyes. :)

You did make it all purdy.
Last edited by Zombie Dave McCaig on Sat Aug 02, 2003 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Prepare the mental-bleach solution of two parts whiskey to two parts whisky.
Zombie Dave McCaig
Clownshoes
Clownshoes

Postby Reber » Sat Aug 02, 2003 12:22 am

Zombie Dave McCaig wrote:That kid better not fly and shoot beams out of his eyes.

You did make it all purdy.

Dude.. you've never read Squadron Supreme? It's a twisted take on DC characters. This is JMS's version of those stories.
Reber
What the hell is my avatar DOING?

Postby Xao' » Sat Aug 02, 2003 12:49 am

Why does the man in the first page have that strip of light just over his eyes?
100% Potential
Xao'
grand zombie

Postby Reber » Sat Aug 02, 2003 12:56 am

Xao' wrote:Why does the man in the first page have that strip of light just over his eyes?

It's a reflection from the rearview mirror.
Reber
What the hell is my avatar DOING?

Postby Xao' » Sat Aug 02, 2003 1:00 am

I don't get to sit in the driver's seat very often or never to be honest :roll:
100% Potential
Xao'
grand zombie

Postby Seed » Sat Aug 02, 2003 7:15 am

Hey Soto i like what you did with those pages!
Here are my thoughts:

Page 1: Very nice color choice, but the ppl seem to be a bit shiney in my eyes....

Page 2: Very nice smoke :) Why is there such a strong blue lightsource below the car-wheels

Page 3: Wow nice fire effects. The face looks a bit blurry but it's cool nonetheless

Page 4: Awesome backgrounds but i don't like the purple glow.

Page 5: Simple but awesome.

Page 6: Cool. Still too blurry faces in my opinion, and don't ya think this moon is damn big o.O ?

Page 7:The fold-highlights in the first panel look really rushed. Otherwise -cool.

Overall you did a great job!

Bye
Seed
Seed
Überzombie

Postby Scott Cohn » Sat Aug 02, 2003 7:51 pm

holy sweet christ man!

i feel like an idiot when i see other colorists and they make choices i'd probably never think of. love the smoke and the helicopter page the best.

how did you get that grainy look on the laser pointers?
Scott Cohn
EXPLOSIVE-D

Postby Soto » Sat Aug 02, 2003 9:36 pm

Seed wrote:Hey Soto i like what you did with those pages!
Here are my thoughts:

Page 1: Very nice color choice, but the ppl seem to be a bit shiney in my eyes....

Page 2: Very nice smoke :) Why is there such a strong blue lightsource below the car-wheels

Page 3: Wow nice fire effects. The face looks a bit blurry but it's cool nonetheless

Page 4: Awesome backgrounds but i don't like the purple glow.

Page 5: Simple but awesome.

Page 6: Cool. Still too blurry faces in my opinion, and don't ya think this moon is damn big o.O ?

Page 7:The fold-highlights in the first panel look really rushed. Otherwise -cool.

Overall you did a great job!

Bye
Seed

Okay, point by point...:
Page 1- Stylistic choice.
Page 2- The editor asked for it, and I thought it would babance out the blus in the sky and help bind the page.
Page 3- I don't know why it looks blurry.... is it your browser? Or maybe the quality of the jpegs... (Marvel supplied these to the press)
Page 4- What purple glow?
Page 5- Thanks. Sometimes less is more.
Page 6- I still don't know about blurry faces.... Anyone else see them like that? The moon is painted as big as Gary indicated on the page.
Page 7- maybe. This page got repainted several times, but it might just be abother stylistic choice. I've been trying to use a lot more "hard brush" in my work lately.

EXPLOSIVE-D-
I used a custom brush (kinda spattered) on a screen layer with that tight selection.

Dave-
the original Squadron Supreme were a direct rip of the JLA and created to be just that when the original JLA/Avengers crossover couldn't happen. So yes, he does fly and shoot beams from his eyes. And he does have heat vision, but I doubt Supes ever used it like this kid does. Just wait til you see what he does with his dog in the first issue.
:)
Glad you all liked them.
I think issue 2 and 3 are stronger. Maybe it's cuz I'm getting more into a grove with Gary's stuff. Right now I'm working on issue #4 and I'm finding that the decisions are coming easier.
Let me know what you guys think when the book hits the stands later this month.
Soto
The Food Themed Man

Postby Scott Johnson » Sat Aug 02, 2003 10:18 pm

You know what I really like? All the little details... like the trailing glow of the taillights and the raining fallout on page one... the well placed use of the lens flare effect...the grainy lasers. I have to admit I was confused by the light rectangles on the driver's face. I like the idea though. Maybe if there was a car coming up behind them with the headlights on I would have realized it was a reflection from the mirror, but I didn't pick up on that with this page.
Scott Johnson
Lurker Admin

Postby Pierre-Andre » Sun Aug 03, 2003 5:46 am

Great stuff Soto. Looking forward to see the actual book.
Feh!
Pierre-Andre
Überzombie

Postby jeremiah:seven » Sun Aug 03, 2003 6:20 am

Colouring like this opened my eyes to the world of comics.

Looks great. Cannot wait for the book. Keep up the good work.
Send a man a link, and he'll waste an afternoon. Teach a man to google and he'll waste a lifetime.
jeremiah:seven
grand zombie

Postby MBirkhofer » Sun Aug 03, 2003 6:46 am

I'm not sure there is ever a well placed use of a lens flare... I wish the ones on the truck were colorized more appropiately..

Fantastic colors, Chris.

I do perfer more hard edges on faces, etc. to define the structure. But I can accept not everyone doing it.

One thing that I'd like to see, is a change of sky in page five as time pregresses. Getting darker with some stars appearing would help show the time nicely.

Dodger.
MBirkhofer
Überzombie

Postby Seed » Sun Aug 03, 2003 3:06 pm

Hm sorry i was not really presize i didn't meant "blurry"...I meant they could use some more highlights...sometimes it looks to "gradient-like" but that's only a personal taste (cuts-fan heh).

Well the non-lightened side of teh face looks purple to me...or dark violett maybe....

Oh and i forgot to add: For normal lens-flares look cheap but u used them in a really cool realistic way.

Good job :)
Bye
Seed
Seed
Überzombie

Next

Return to Public Gallery