Spider-woman speed painting (after DUB)

WIPs, finished stuff, it's all good. Anything posted is open for crits unless otherwise stated.

Moderators: Zombie Dave McCaig, Reber, Laura, Dean Welsh, Scott Johnson

Spider-woman speed painting (after DUB)

Postby Nathan » Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:02 pm

So, I was working on this Spider-woman piece of mine, getting really detailed, inking every strand of her hair, when I got bored, so I checked out GZ, especially DUB's thread, which is the greatest thing ever. I just love his speed paintings so much -- the cool looseness of them -- that I decided to turn my obsessively detailed drawing into a painting. I gave myself 20 minutes, but spent 30. (Sigh).

Eventually, I'll get around to finishing the piece properly (in my own anal style), but it sure was fun to pretend for half an hour that I was a talented guy like Dub!
Nathan
this guy knows to do all outstanding

Postby Steve Firchow » Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:26 pm

I think this is an important thing for everyone to practice regularly.

Your colors and values are all fitting together very well.

Do more like this!
Steve Firchow
Überzombie

Postby Capitaine Dub » Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:35 pm

Best way to practice to me. By doing it fast, you need to concentrate on making a bold statement not doing a gazillion of useless details. But, hrmnn, nothing I am saying right now is even close to what I am trying to express.
Capitaine Dub
grand zombie

Postby Nathan » Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:30 pm

Steve -- thanks a lot!

Dub -- this really is a great way to practice, and I think I understand what you mean just fine. Thanks, BTW : your posts have motivated me to commit some time every day to sketching in my sketchbook, something I've rarely found time for in the last few years.. There's a lot of joy in your art. It's inspiring.

Anyway, I found some time to finish inking the line drawing that I did the speed painting over. I'm a pretty lousy inker, especially when it comes to adding texture. I always find it easier to do that at the coloring stage. I thought I'd post the inks, though, and see if someone could help me make them less craptacular.

Nathan

Postby chrisc » Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:05 am

so, does that mean you're going to start a sketchbook thread? Just to keep you honest about sketching everyday?
chrisc
Überzombie

Postby Capitaine Dub » Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:52 am

chrisc wrote:so, does that mean you're going to start a sketchbook thread? Just to keep you honest about sketching everyday?

Everyone should... in my opinion :lol:
Capitaine Dub
grand zombie

Postby Nathan » Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:47 pm

chrisc wrote:so, does that mean you're going to start a sketchbook thread? Just to keep you honest about sketching everyday?

I guess I should. I think it would keep me humble more than honest, though. I wonder if we can make it a sticky at the bottom of the page....
Nathan

Return to Public Gallery