Vimanarama cover

WIPs, finished stuff, it's all good. Anything posted is open for crits unless otherwise stated.

Moderators: Zombie Dave McCaig, Reber, Laura, Dean Welsh, Scott Johnson

Vimanarama cover

Postby Peter Doherty » Thu Oct 28, 2004 9:50 am

Well I thought I'd post something.
This is the cover for Grant Morrison and Philip Bond's new Vertigo series Vimanaramas coloured by me.
I'm not sure if this is the proper cover as I did one with a pink background, and I don't know which one was chosen.
-----Peter

Peter Doherty
Fresh Meat

Postby Steve Firchow » Thu Oct 28, 2004 10:49 am

Pretty cool, Peter!

I think you could smack the light source(glowy, flower thingy) ALOT harder.
It took me a second to realize the light was coming from the flower.
Steve Firchow
Überzombie

Postby Nathan » Thu Oct 28, 2004 5:57 pm

What Steve said. I was looking at this thinking "why aren't these two backlit with that bright BG going on? And what's with the weird flower necklace thing?" Personally, I'd take those bright color holds you've got on the background floating city things and throw them on the flower. Then kick it up a notch. You know, like Bender always says. BAM!
Nathan
this guy knows to do all outstanding

Postby Brian Boyko » Sat Oct 30, 2004 12:27 pm

I have no idea what this is, but I'm getting it.
Blogphilo.com
Brian Boyko
Überzombie

Postby chrisc » Sat Oct 30, 2004 2:49 pm

Peter,

That's looking pretty cool. I'd like to see his face and maybe her forward palm lit by a different colored light source--from the flower--so that the skin tones on his face don't attach to the tones on her hip. It would add some depth.

-chris
chrisc
Überzombie

Postby Peter Doherty » Sun Oct 31, 2004 2:38 am

Thanks for all the response
Hello Chris---I think you're absolutely right about the skin tones, I'll get on that before I've no time to change it !!
As to Steve and Nathan's comments, I think you're right from a certain point of view. However, I did try a stronger flower glow and it somehow was more of a point of focus than I wanted. The background colours aren't actually lighting, it's more of a design element. One of the things Grant wanted was a sort of psychedelic feel, balanced with contrast in the story between a banal reality and a strange mystical other world feel, and that's what I was trying to sum up. Maybe I didn't quite succeed !!
---Peter
Peter Doherty
Fresh Meat

Return to Public Gallery