color style

WIPs, finished stuff, it's all good. Anything posted is open for crits unless otherwise stated.

Moderators: Zombie Dave McCaig, Reber, Laura, Dean Welsh, Scott Johnson

color style

Postby TMac » Fri Oct 15, 2004 11:23 am

So my natural style is using the paint brush at say 65-75 transparency and then building up areas that I want to be brighter.

The artists and I thought my natural style would be a good match for his artwork. We didn't see the barbarians colored Haberlin style.

This is one of his concept sketches colored in the paint brush style. Below is a sample of the lineart.

Any comments about appropriate coloring styles, or general comments about the coloring (remember the image below was just a quick color test), are welcome. Do you think this style will work with the line art? Do you ever change your style based on the line art you recieve?

thanks,

TMac

TMac
Fresh Meat

Re: color style

Postby Brian Boyko » Fri Oct 15, 2004 11:28 pm

TMac wrote:So my natural style is using the paint brush at say 65-75 transparency and then building up areas that I want to be brighter.

The artists and I thought my natural style would be a good match for his artwork. We didn't see the barbarians colored Haberlin style.

This is one of his concept sketches colored in the paint brush style. Below is a sample of the lineart.

Any comments about appropriate coloring styles, or general comments about the coloring (remember the image below was just a quick color test), are welcome. Do you think this style will work with the line art? Do you ever change your style based on the line art you recieve?

thanks,

TMac

I'm not an expert, but I like the idea that you have.

But what you might want to do is, instead of using that round "airbrush" that you have, try using one of the more "painterly" brushes, that look like brush-strokes, you know? That way you get a more "painted" look. The round "ends" of the brush stroke just seem "off" to me.

Then again, I don't know diddly. Really.
Blogphilo.com
Brian Boyko
Überzombie

Postby tedbragg » Sat Oct 16, 2004 8:04 am

Actually Brian, that's a good suggestion. I've found a customized, non-round brush makes things very 'real' looking, in the sense of an artist using 'real' materials to make art. It has an appeal to it, even laymen can pick up on.

For the style of lineart, I think a flatter type of coloring job would compliment the strong inks best. The work already jumps off the page in b&w.

Flats with a watercolor-type treatment on shadows and hi-lites might look nice.
tedbragg
Picked Clean

Return to Public Gallery