Fantastic Four #3

WIPs, finished stuff, it's all good. Anything posted is open for crits unless otherwise stated.

Moderators: Zombie Dave McCaig, Reber, Laura, Dean Welsh, Scott Johnson

Fantastic Four #3

Postby Robert » Thu Oct 14, 2004 11:57 pm

Last page of FF from me. This one is a nice counter-balance from the other two action pages. When I first downloaded the lineart pages I thought that this page would be the easiest, and most boring, to color, but it turned out to be the hardest and the one I enjoyed coloring the most.

Comments and critiques appreciated :)

Robert

Robert
Überzombie

Postby Reber » Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:50 am

That's funny I just realized that the boring pages for me are the action pages. Mostly cause with action pages everything is just handed to you and there is usually only one direction you can really go. Not much room for error on those. These pages are the kind you can screw up. Does your palette add to the mood of the scene or detract? Does your rendering accent the facial expressions or change them? That's what I usually think of on pages like this.

I think your palette is great. On the rendering side I think I'd like to see some darker contrast in the backgrounds to go along with the spotted blacks. Panel 4 for example everything seems to be competing to be in the foreground. Don't be afraid to change your rendering on items as they move closer or further from the viewer either.
Reber
What the hell is my avatar DOING?

Postby Robert » Fri Oct 15, 2004 4:28 pm

Thanks for the feedback, Brian! I agree about that 4th panel... I need to separate things better.

Reber wrote:I'd like to see some darker contrast in the backgrounds to go along with the spotted blacks.

I'm not sure what you mean here. Are you referring to background elements like the grass?

BTW, your avatar kills me.

Robert
Robert
Überzombie

Postby Reber » Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:55 pm

Things in the background could have a darker value to help pop the figures. The tree for example has simular values to your characters. The trees in the horizon, the grass, the street, etc. all of these could probably be darker in value to help with contrast and to create more depth. Take your page into photoshop and grayscale it. That should give you a better idea on what I mean. Hope that helps.
Reber
What the hell is my avatar DOING?

Postby Robert » Sun Oct 17, 2004 6:07 pm

Great suggestion with the grayscale... I saw what you were trying to say much easier.

Thanks!

Robert
Robert
Überzombie

Postby Joel Micah Harris » Tue Oct 19, 2004 5:27 am

Terrific, Robert. Your best Four page yet.
Hm?
Joel Micah Harris
Überzombie

Postby Robert » Sat Oct 23, 2004 10:54 pm

Thanks, Joel!

Robert
Robert
Überzombie

Return to Public Gallery