A black and white page.

WIPs, finished stuff, it's all good. Anything posted is open for crits unless otherwise stated.

Moderators: Zombie Dave McCaig, Reber, Laura, Dean Welsh, Scott Johnson

Postby B.Roman » Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:38 am

Jack the R wrote:

I saw the "I Luv Halloween" post here, and that doesn't have screen tones, but it does have Keith Giffen attached to it. I'm pulling my hair out trying to figure this out..

First off Tpop was interested in my book before Keith Giffen came aboard, they threw out out a bunch of writer's names I'd like to work with and I suggested I'd like to work with Keith. Maybe you have to look at your property? Maybe its the story? You also should look at what the publisher is currently putting out. So and so company might have "Manga-GO-Boy- Rocket - Advetnure" type titles already in print or they tried it and it didnt sell.

I take offense to assuming cuz Keith Giffen is writting my book ( cuz it is my book. I own all rights) thats the only reason Tpop is publishing it. Do not assume or be a player hater. Just try harder. I've been sending work out for over 6 years and attending cons, so I think I paid my dues.
B.Roman
grand zombie

Postby Jack the R » Tue Oct 05, 2004 1:17 pm

Zombie Dave McCaig wrote:I think retailers & customers realize that since B&W is cheaper to produce, people who are less likely to make a profit are more likely to have a B&W book. This usually suggests to them that B&W stories and art are not worth checking out, so they don't order it, or don't read it. It really screws over people who chose B&W as an artistic choice. Who chose B&W not because low sales force that route, but because of an artistic decision.

Maybe you can help to change peoples minds on that. Smile

Well, I don't think I'm going to have more of an impact on the comic book world than manga has had, or that Dave Sim or any other B&W artist has had. Surely people are more willing to accept B&W now that manga has become so big though. I see so much manga in bookstores that I have to wonder if there isn't more manga being published than regular color comic books.

Zombie Dave McCaig wrote:I think the best way to get a B&W comic noticed is to print it in a non-comic book format. Look at Top Shelf books, some Oni books etc. They are seen as having more artistic merit. Probably one reason is that the design is more thought through, and therefore more professional. I dunno. Look at how well the DH Lone Wolf and Cub digests sold. DH priced them waaay over what they were worth, but the series still sold like hotcakes. Bet it wouldn't have if they'd been reformatted to standard comic size.

The Lone Wolf and Cub books did stand out on the bookstore shelves, but weren't they also, like, really good books? I've only got one of them, but I'm impressed with it.

Zombie Dave McCaig wrote:Nope! Gallery is for everything!! Please post tons more B&W stuff...

I meant line art. Is line art o.k.?

Scott Johnson - I dig black and white art too. It's amazing what can be done with values alone. People need to open their minds up and not get caught up on one "look." The "look" should be decided on what's right for the book, not on what's trendy.

B.Roman - You're getting upset over nothing. Probably the problem with my book is that I have some confusing panel layouts. Seeing your art tells me that it's probably not the shading style, but I wondered about that for a while because another guy who got picked up by Antartic Press told me his book got picked up specifically because of the shading style. I don't see many manga that aren't screen toned, so I think that was a valid concern.

B.Roman wrote:I take offense to assuming cuz Keith Giffen is writting my book

Did they offer to publish the book with you as the writer? Did you want to be the writer?

( cuz it is my book. I own all rights)

My representative tells me that TokyoPop does something they call "shared copyright." I haven't looked into it further yet, since they haven't made me an offer, but maybe you can elaborate on it. Do you really own all the rights, or is there some co-ownership going on? If Keith Giffen creates a new character, who owns it (I'm thinking about the Spawn/Angela mess Todd McFarlane got into)?
Last edited by Jack the R on Tue Oct 05, 2004 7:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jack the R
grand zombie

Postby Zombie Dave McCaig » Tue Oct 05, 2004 1:43 pm

Fixed your quote tags for you...
Prepare the mental-bleach solution of two parts whiskey to two parts whisky.
Zombie Dave McCaig
Clownshoes
Clownshoes

Postby Scott Johnson » Tue Oct 05, 2004 1:54 pm

Hmm. There's a quote from me in there that I never wrote.
Scott Johnson
Lurker Admin

Postby B.Roman » Tue Oct 05, 2004 2:10 pm

Just keep hitting publishers some thing will stick.
Last edited by B.Roman on Tue Oct 05, 2004 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
B.Roman
grand zombie

Postby B.Roman » Tue Oct 05, 2004 2:12 pm

There's a qoute you placed that I also didnt write.
B.Roman
grand zombie

Postby Jack the R » Tue Oct 05, 2004 6:56 pm

I'll try to fix the quotes. Some of what I wrote appears to be attributed to others now.

B. Roman - TokyoPop liked my art and requested to see more of it. I'm not out of the game with them yet - maybe they'll set me up with a writer they like. They might even pick my book up with changes - I'm waiting to hear from them.

edit - quotes fixed!
Jack the R
grand zombie

Previous

Return to Public Gallery