X-Men

WIPs, finished stuff, it's all good. Anything posted is open for crits unless otherwise stated.

Moderators: Zombie Dave McCaig, Reber, Laura, Dean Welsh, Scott Johnson

X-Men

Postby Jeremy Colwell » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:30 am

Finished up an issue of Trekker yesterday, so taking some time to work up more submission samples. This is page 16 from X-Men #16 drawn by Jorge Molina. Colors by me.

Colorist - Painter - Inker - Concept Artist - Nice Guy
Jeremy Colwell
grand zombie

Re: X-Men

Postby johnercek » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:43 pm

overall solid work- so this observation is a bit nit-picky:
first panel, the colorhold on the temple in the background isn't separating from the inks of the temple in the forground. you could probably push the color hold further to the greyed out values you used in the trees and figures on the ground.
johnercek
grand zombie

Postby Jeremy Colwell » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:45 pm

Good call, John. Thanks. If that's the worst crit I get on this I'll count myself lucky. :)
Jeremy Colwell
grand zombie

Postby Laura » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:34 pm

I was going to reply to this last night but I got sidetracked.

Okay. First off, I like your warm palette and your olive greens. Nice move there. I also like the texture on Thing, and your gold rendering.

Now for the stuff that needs critiquing. You've got some confusion going on with values and saturations. When you're dealing with a limited color scheme like this hazy yellow scene, you've got to prioritize your areas of overlapping similar hues (like yellow sky, brownish-yellow pyramids and yellow on costumes) into a way that best serves the storyline.

Panel 5 is kind of a mess overall, because there's this whole area in the center that gets very muddy and unclear. Wolverine and Pixie's suits are muddy. Their skin tones are muddy. The pyramid in the background is kind of a mud color. Even Pixie's hair is dull and purplish...and all this under a hazy yellow sky? If you want to create depth, you definitely need to break up that whole area right in there. And if you want to enhance the storytelling...

Pixie, Wolverine and Thing should attract the eye, even in a limited-palette scene. Think about this: The X-costumes are YELLOW and blue-black. Not ochre, not raw sienna, not maize or honey. YELLOW. Under a warm sky like this, you KNOW they would appear as the yellowest yellow that ever yellowed. But the colors you've chosen for Pixie's and Wolverine's suits AND skintones are pretty much exactly the same values, and are very close in hue, to the pyramids and flying rocks. I miss Wolverine almost entirely in panels 3 and 5, and if it weren't for her pink hair, Pixie would disappear against the background in panel 5.

So now comes the pushing and pulling of the values and saturations. Without telling you the step-by-step of how I did this, I'm just going to post your version followed by my version, and let you spot the differences. The point is, you can stay true to the limited palette and the atmosphere that you want, while still adhering to the storytelling and visually separating everything. I hope that makes sense!

xmen_16_16_colorsb2_ver2.jpg
Laura's overpaint
xmen_16_16_colorsb2_ver2.jpg (230.94 KiB) Viewed 2984 times
Laura
Crazy cat lady

Postby Jeremy Colwell » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:53 pm

Thank you, Laura. That is an excellent critique. I really appreciate you taking the time to type it all out and especially do the overpaint. I learned a lot from it. I will go back into this page tomorrow and see what I can do with this new knowledge. Thanks again!
Jeremy Colwell
grand zombie

Postby Jeremy Colwell » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:34 pm

Taking the info you gave, here is my new version of the page. I don't know how you technically did things the way you did, so my image is slightly different than your paintover, but I think by having to find my own ways, I learned more. Thanks again for your help and feel free to chime in anytime on my pages. I'm still learning and will take help wherever I can find it.

Jeremy Colwell
grand zombie

Return to Public Gallery