Turok

WIPs, finished stuff, it's all good. Anything posted is open for crits unless otherwise stated.

Moderators: Zombie Dave McCaig, Reber, Laura, Dean Welsh, Scott Johnson

Turok

Postby MarkR » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:34 pm

Today's sketch, another Valiant character. At least the Valiant version of Turok. I didn't use any reference for the figure so I think there's maybe one or two anatomy errors...

Penciled, scanned, inked in Painter, colored in Photoshop.

MarkR
grand zombie

Re: Turok

Postby Ross Hughes » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:27 am

I think it could benefit from being roughed up a little bit. His skin and pants just seem really smooth to me, and it doesn't really say "I hunt dinosaurs" to me. You've got this beautifully textured background, but I think you should bring some of that to the character.
Ross Hughes

Freelance Digital Colorist
Samples can be found here: My Gallery

E-mail me for rates and availability here:
Hughescolors@gmail.com

Follow me on Twitter:
@hughescoloring
Ross Hughes
Überzombie

Postby MarkR » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:16 am

You know, I had some textures over the figure too, but for some reason I decided to turn that layer off at the last minute. I think I felt I wanted him to stand out more from the background, not sure, it was like 4am... Anyway, here is a version with that texture layer turned back on.

MarkR
grand zombie

Postby Ross Hughes » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:31 am

I think that works better.
Ross Hughes

Freelance Digital Colorist
Samples can be found here: My Gallery

E-mail me for rates and availability here:
Hughescolors@gmail.com

Follow me on Twitter:
@hughescoloring
Ross Hughes
Überzombie

Postby michael-e-w » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:13 am

Overall, I like this piece for the level of thought put in. However, there are some things you need to think about a bit more to take it further.
First, the rendering on his face is a bit off. I don't know what reference you used, but consider the general structure of a native American face. You don't want to go cartoony, but you do want to notice things that convey heritage. Your chin is good - strong but set back, but the nose needs to be turned down more. Even younger native Americans have a curve down to their noses usually. As well, right now, the features are reading Taylor Lautner - buff but really young, and I think Turok is 30ish, right? His brow needs more definition, as does the jaw line. The smoothness of it all just doesn't sell me on a person, especially a native American in his 30s. I am attaching a quick paintover (hope you don't mind) to better show what I would mean.
Second, pterodactyl size. Did Turok decide to pose in front of a dead baby? haha Just kidding ya. But look up a size comparison of dinosaur to human. You want us to believe this guy is bad ass. Maybe he killed this pterodactyl a few weeks ago and he hunts at this spot often, so he's standing over a trophy almost. Its head should be almost the same height as Turok. Also, I didn't address it in the paintover, but why is the skull lit from the top yet casting a shadow the same direction as the light?
Third, and this goes with the last point, shadows. Your texture is okay. I would suggest since this is a pin-up kinda piece, you should paint it in a bit more, so that it doesn't just look like an overlay. But shadows and texture. Usually (there's always an exception, but with the lighting conditions here, not really), shadows are sharper the closer to the object casting them. And also usually, shadows don't contain as much "information" in them. So, I did this slapdash, but you need to make the edges of the shadow closer to Turok sharper and have less texture in them. As it fades away from him, the blur and texture would be fine.
Finally (sorry I am probably writing too much), but here are some other things to just think about and see how you would address them yourself. The rim light, what's causing it? In this environment, a more green approach may work well. I'm thinking of Laura's work on The Stand. Why does Turok cast a shadow on the ground but not himself (not included in paintover)? Why does the stitching just have a flat color, not matter where it falls on the form? Is his hair just SO black it negates any color? It can work, but I'd explore it. Ok, I will end here, and I hope you revisit the piece.
Turokcolors_web_redo.jpg
Turokcolors_web_redo.jpg (204.4 KiB) Viewed 1023 times
Michael E. Wiggam
Blog, Portfolio
michael-e-w
Überzombie

Postby MBirkhofer » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:18 pm

Good crits michael.

The rendering on the legs flattens out. the texture only making it worse. Need to 3d plane those legs.
MBirkhofer
Überzombie

Postby MarkR » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:50 am

Thanks to everyone, especially michael, for the crits. A lot of valuable advice and things to think about in future pieces.
MarkR
grand zombie

Postby JacobEnright » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:55 am

Fundamental oil is useful for the strength of the human body. uk essay writing service is useful for the wellbeing of the human body and damage the cells of the body. Your data is valuable and you attempt to give the most extreme advantages of the fundamental oil.
JacobEnright
Fresh Meat

Return to Public Gallery