Jim Carrey

WIPs, finished stuff, it's all good. Anything posted is open for crits unless otherwise stated.

Moderators: Zombie Dave McCaig, Reber, Laura, Dean Welsh, Scott Johnson

Jim Carrey

Postby Nathan » Sun Feb 15, 2004 8:30 pm

Howdy. I'm on this huge photorealism kick lately. I found this great portrait of Jim Carrey taken by Annie Liebowitz and decided I would try to recreate it. Here's the original:

So I started with a pencil sketch:

Then inked it in Photoshop, which was great. I can't imagine inking with pen ever again. I wonder -- are there any professional inkers who ink in Photoshop? It seems really obvious - inking on a layer over the pencils. Hm. Then again, I'm not the world's greatest inker -- maybe there are really good reasons why Photoshop inking wouldn't work. Anyway, inks:

Then I did the colors, which turned into a digital painting.

And then I painted a background:

And, like, then I put it all together. I reduced the opacity of the ink layer to 10 per cent. I think it looks swell that way.

Crits? I came pretty close in a lot of ways, but I didn't really nail the expression. Plus I think his head's a bit too big. Oh well. It was fun.

Comments? Crits?

Nathan
Nathan
this guy knows to do all outstanding

Postby Joel Micah Harris » Sun Feb 15, 2004 8:54 pm

Nathan-

Gotta say, I love the color rendering on the figure, it's very Rockwell-ian. That's a big compliment from me, as Rockwell was one of my inspirational and favorite artists for as long as I can remember. Anyway, the actual likeness is very good as well. There are a few things that are noticeable like the head is drawn at a different angle (turned a bit cw in your drawing), but things like that don't bother me, as I'm more interested in the finished product rather than the similarity of it and the photo ref.

Secondly, Brian Bolland inks strictly on the computer and I know Robin Riggs has experimented with digital inking a few times. I'm sure there are many others that do, either exclusively or sporadically.

Nice job!
Hm?
Joel Micah Harris
Überzombie

Postby Fatboy3000 » Sun Feb 15, 2004 11:59 pm

Best I've seen from you yet Nathan, maybe you've found your niche.
Fatboy3000
grand zombie

Postby chadf » Mon Feb 16, 2004 3:25 am

Duuuuuude!

If you can do this...what are you worrying about doing sequentials for?

:shock:
-chad
chadf
Powered by The Dew®

Postby Rob S. » Mon Feb 16, 2004 4:48 am

you need a better defined shadow under the front leg of the chair. As it is right now, it looks like it's floating.

Aside from that, looks good!
Rob S.
Pantsless Wonder

Postby Laura » Mon Feb 16, 2004 7:24 am

Damn, dude! This is great!

My only nitpick is that his nostrils seem too large and pig-like -- if you round out the top corners of each nostril, it should look a lot more like human nostrils.

But seriously, that's it. Great job.

-- Laura
Laura
Crazy cat lady

Postby _Anthony » Mon Feb 16, 2004 9:31 am

Wow, I love this picture! :shock: What program did you use to digitally paint it?

_Anthony
Some people dream of success....
while others wake up and work at it!
_Anthony
Überzombie

Postby Nathan » Mon Feb 16, 2004 10:53 am

Wow. Thanks for the great feedback, everyone!

Laura -- Thanks! Yeah, there was something totally bugging me about his nostrils. Of course they're too pointy! I'll fix that right away.

Rob -- Yup. Good call on the shadow. Totally missed that. Honestly, I think I painted the background in about 15 minutes (I was a bit too anxious to be done). I'll fix that too. Thanks!

Fatboy -- Thanks, man. I had so much fun on this that I've considered hiring a model or two and trying a couple cover paintings. Maybe give the dude who does those slutty (but good :wink:) Emma Frost covers for Marvel a run for his money. Just kidding.

JMH -- Interesting about Brian Bolland. I wonder if ten years in the future we'll see everyone inking in Photoshop. Anyway, I noticed the turned head only after I had inked it, so it was too late to change it. I was a bit put out, because one of my goals in this was to work on drawing what I see, not what I think I see, but in the end I felt the same way as you did -- it looks good, so why redo it? If I wanted it to look exactly the same as the original, I would have just done an overpaint or something. And, yeah, Rockwell is awesome. Do you know if he used models for his paintings? I suspect he didn't, at least not always. And that's what makes him a real artist. I mean, I couldn't have done this if I hadn't had the actual photo reference pinned up next to my monitor. Oh ... Maybe I shouldn't have said that -- I mean, Alex Ross and David Mack are amazing artists and they use a ton of photo reference.

Chad -- Ha. Dude, I'm not really that good. I mean, I've always been good at drawing from models and photos, but when it comes to creating images out of whole cloth, I get really shaky. I know anatomy and structure pretty well, but things just don't look right if I'm not referencing them. Honestly, that's always been my greatest weakness as an artist. Maybe I should have been born five hundred years ago, when the height of artistic expression was realism and everyone used models. Now that we actually have photos, though, that kind of painting has almost disappeared. I go to art exhibits and see almost exclusively expressionist or surrealist or (less often) impressionist paintings, and find myself torn between deriding most of the artists' lack of skill at the mechanics of art (perspective, form, lighting, etc, which most young artists figure they don't need to learn these days) and admiring their creativity. (Usually the derision wins out. :wink:) But I digress.

Anyway, I've learned a lot in the last four months I've spent trying to learn how to color sequential art: mood, storytelling, lighting, separation of planes, color theory. I could have done the pen and ink at any time over the last five years, probably, but I could never have done the painting until, oh, about five days ago. (If I ever manage to make any money as a digital painter, I fully intend to cut Dave a check for his fair share. :lol: ) Last and probably most importantly, I love comics and you can't get into comics by doing paintings of Jim Carrey. :lol:

Anthony -- Thanks, man. I didn't use anything fancy to paint it, though. It was done 100% in Photoshop 5.5 with the airbrush tool. No custom brushes or anything (can Photoshop 5.5 even do custom brushes?) I was going to update my gear and software recently, but I'm getting married in 4 months, so I had to put those plans on hold to save money. Sigh.

Again, thanks everyone for your comments.

Nathan
Nathan

Postby Soto » Mon Feb 16, 2004 11:27 am

Nathan wrote:And, yeah, Rockwell is awesome. Do you know if he used models for his paintings? I suspect he didn't, at least not always. And that's what makes him a real artist.

Rockwell used a lot of photo refference and models.

-Soto
Soto
The Food Themed Man

Postby Nathan » Mon Feb 16, 2004 11:36 am

Really? Oh. I didn't realize that. I don't know if it should, but that makes me feel a lot better. I always, for some stupid reason, felt like I was cheating every time I used a reference image - like I should be able to just come up with stuff on my own if I wanted to call myself an artist. I need to get over that and embrace photo reference.
Nathan

Postby Laura » Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:18 pm

Use photo ref for what it is -- a guide. Now that you've done this piece, you should be able to come away with it with a better understanding of, say, neck musculature or reflective colors. So on the next piece, ideally you should feel like you can rely less on photo ref.

This process will take a long time -- you won't be an expert based on one piece -- but everything you refer to will teach you something.

It's also great for people like me with really terrible memories. :)

-- Laura
Laura
Crazy cat lady

Postby MBirkhofer » Mon Feb 16, 2004 1:41 pm

Yeah, there isn't anything wrong with using referances. Just remember that you arent a copy machine.

This is pretty good.
I wonder, with the body, did you work with a white background? You shouldn't do that.
MBirkhofer
Überzombie

Postby KevinV » Mon Feb 16, 2004 2:13 pm

Here's that Bolland link where he goes over how he works. It has some inking stuff in photoshop in it. Great piece.

http://www.brianbolland.com/gk29/gk29.html
KevinV
Überzombie

Postby Nathan » Mon Feb 16, 2004 3:33 pm

Kevin -- Awesome link! Brian Bolland rules. To do as many covers as he does and maintain a kickass website must make him an honest-to-God gutterzombie. I can't believe he even pencils in Photoshop. Nuts!

Birk -- Thanks. Yeah, I painted it on a white background, and I know I shouldn't do that for fear of the dude looking like he doesn't belong in the envirnonment. But I figured since I was following the photo so closely, that wouldn't happen, and I don't think it did. But it is good to remember that. Thanks.

Laura -- Yup. It takes time to get better, but you're right -- I did learn an awful lot about neck muscles and eye sockets (they're bigger than I thought! :o ) on this piece. And I'm fully prepared for the years it'll take to get really good at my art. I'm pretty patient. I'll just keep hacking away.
Nathan

Postby jeremiah:seven » Mon Feb 16, 2004 4:41 pm

I love the mood on this image. Reminds me of Fight Club (movie)

awesome.
Send a man a link, and he'll waste an afternoon. Teach a man to google and he'll waste a lifetime.
jeremiah:seven
grand zombie

Next

Return to Public Gallery