Katie!

WIPs, finished stuff, it's all good. Anything posted is open for crits unless otherwise stated.

Moderators: Zombie Dave McCaig, Reber, Laura, Dean Welsh, Scott Johnson

Katie!

Postby MBirkhofer » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:07 pm

Nick did a great job on this.
I love the Dental Association dinosaur.
I did a mock up with the signal. Some discussion before coloring, questioning wither to keep it. In the end, I took it out, because the colors were going unprintable in order to make it look like a light on the sky.
I definitely wanted daytime. She's a kid. She has a curfew, and just in general the tone is very lighthearted.
The top is for the title.

Jeremy Johnson's character and story:
http://www.heyjj.com/bbj/
MBirkhofer
Überzombie

Re: Katie!

Postby chrisw » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:32 pm

Overall i think this is a nice piece. good color choices.

only critique that the sky may be a little too saturated. the buildings in the bkgd look fine; nice and pushed back, but the saturation of the sky makes it look like it's in front of the buildings. fade the saturation of the sky a little and i think it'll be fine.

Nice piece!

Chris
"Wondrous the mind of a child is." ~ Yoda
chrisw
Zombie

Postby Eagle » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:36 pm

I love the colour of the sky, myself. I find it adds weight and oodles of character.

But I could be painfully wrong. You never know.
Eagle
Überzombie

Postby Jemm » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:12 pm

Nah, EagleC I agree with you too. The only thing that is diffusing that happy energy is the way you rendered the cloud. Look at how the smoke (or the bottom cloud?) is rendered: totally different to the cloud.. if the cloud was a bit more like that, it'd make the piece much different I think. Love the depth: her face structure is a little unclear though. :0 love the colors you chose!
Jasen Smith wrote:
johnercek wrote:maybe it's just me- but I feel like I'm looking at Mr. T and not wolverine.. :-p

I pity the fool, bub?
Jemm
GIRL!

Postby KristofSpaey » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:07 pm

The smoke from the airplane is a nice touch!
KristofSpaey
Fresh Meat

Postby rancez » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:52 pm

Hi!
Amazing work!
I agree with chrisw. I don't know why, but right know my eyes go to the sky, and your focus should be the character. Just my opinion.
oh! May be some highlight to the face would help.
I like it a lot.
Mauro Barbosa
Caricaturist, Comic colorist and Flatter.
http://www.artwanted.com/rancez
rancez
grand zombie

Postby robbdaman » Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:27 pm

Yeah, I think that fact that the sky is so saturated and is the majority of the image makes it a larger focal point than anything else. Maybe if you just desaturate it to a more natural color. How about some light reflecting in her googles too? There are some small speculars here and there on her but none on the googles which I would think would be reflective enough to get at least some, just a couple little highlights like you have elsewhere.

Another take on this could have put her in night but somehow make it that the viewer would know it's only in her imagination, a little cloudy effect for the panel might do that. Just a thought really but it'd be hard to convey that. This is the kind of project I love, anything for the kids. :D

R~
robbdaman
Überzombie

Postby MBirkhofer » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:48 am

Hey guys, thanks for taking a look.
Here's what the cover looks like with the title.

And heres page1.
This was one of the hardest pages I've done really. I took a while to flat and plan out.
I was a bit concerned with the blue/green nature. It was a bit more boyish then I would have liked. But taking the turtle rug and fish bed as a start for the palette, and working from there, most attempts to make room more "girlish", resulted in being distracting from Katie. So, I felt it was best to just do the girl objects in the room, here and there to set the tone, while keeping the overall palette to push Katie forward, and draw your eye down and across, after you see her.
An inlaid panel is supposed to be in there somewhere. I had to plan out its palette in conjunction, in a separate file. Which is a little weird. The page was drawn to sit on its own.
MBirkhofer
Überzombie

Postby Eagle » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:01 am

I think it's great and seems to match what little I've seen of her personality. It fits.

The top left drawing on her wall looks odd. The play between the orange crayon on that colour of paper tweaks my eyes a bit.
Eagle
Überzombie

Postby rancez » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:14 am

Hey. It looks awesome. The sky is not a problem to me in the cover. :D
I
Mauro Barbosa
Caricaturist, Comic colorist and Flatter.
http://www.artwanted.com/rancez
rancez
grand zombie

Postby MBirkhofer » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:19 pm

Thanks guys.
Heres a mockup of the final pages. pages 2 and3 anyway.
You can see the inlay laid in.
That made planing out that page more difficult as I needed to plan the inlay out separately.

I wasn't planing on the green border. And did the second page there several months ago now. haha.
MBirkhofer
Überzombie

Postby Nick Pitarra » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:44 pm

All of these look great Mike! Thanks for all your hard work, I really love what you did with them. The cover and 1st page are my favorites. :rawk:

Let me know what you think of the lettering. I don't like the way jeremy covered up characters with the word boxes on those pages. He should shrink the boxes about 25% percent, move the first box on page one over to the right. Shrink the second box, and maybe the panel some, the one on the next page covering up her homework should be down to the right in front of the pencil sharpener, he'd have to shrink that box for it to fit too. Let me know what you think of the letters...I'll write and tell Jeremy if we agree. If not I won't nitpick the guy. Oh yeah...did jeremy see your edited page 2 yet? He should put that in.

Thanks again man it was really fun collaborating with you! :ice:

~nick
Artist & Co-Creator of The Manhattan Projects from Image Comics
http://www.NICKPITARRA.com
Nick Pitarra
Überzombie

Postby MBirkhofer » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:05 pm

Ha thanks Nick. "The cover and 1st page are my favorites" Haha. of course they are. they are the most recent. I may be a slow learner. But I do learn consistently. haha.
I love your lineart here. The tiny details are great. the Hanna Montana poster, periodic chart, post-it note,etc.

Someone just mentioned they thought the text boxes were too big on my DA. These are for children, and should be larger then we expect from comic work.
Although, you did make some goods points about moving them a bit.
I think he made the inlay slightly larger then I did in my mockup? not sure, didnt really check too close. I think the cropped inlay is much much better. You drew way too much. :P

I definitely agree on the text over the homework, and it should be over the desk in front of the sharpener. The problem is it would be in the same position as the 2nd panel text, which would be weird, so that would need to be moved as well. Up, covering the cookies I guess.

And, I just noticed that's the old version of page 4 as well.
MBirkhofer
Überzombie

Postby Nick Filardi » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:26 pm

some stronger drop shadows on the floor would ground all the objects and really make that panel pop.

stuff looks great imho. :)
Nick Filardi
grand zombie

Postby FMB » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:41 pm

Last edited by FMB on Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
FMB
Fresh Meat

Next

Return to Public Gallery