Help with ink, CC or at least Zombie moans!

WIPs, finished stuff, it's all good. Anything posted is open for crits unless otherwise stated.

Moderators: Zombie Dave McCaig, Reber, Laura, Dean Welsh, Scott Johnson

Re: Help with ink, CC or at least Zombie moans!

Postby Evilimage » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:29 pm

Sixter wrote:Google is your friend. With "shading ink" as my search term, I found this as the first link.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Articles2/3698/194/

Don't forget, white is often added after inking, not only to correct mistakes, but to add specular highlights. I've seen video of Jim Lee pulling out his white out pen at the end and adding highlights and touch ups.

Yea i had to use that in ilustrator because the eraser makes lines explode lol

Thanks for the help, haven't had much time to look it up but I'm hitting that link now

I"m on a huge tanget about a comic inking tutorial that i seen on youtube where the guy was lettering and inking very badly and even bragging about his lazy work, "I don't ink hands there is too much detail." I know I don't have much room to talk but I hate to see people teaching other people the exact way to do things horribly wrong. and his use of bics and old sharpies from the junk drawer made me cringe :(
Evilimage
Zombie

Postby SeanE » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:31 pm

Evilimage wrote:
MBirkhofer wrote:Just to point it out.
Thats Eric basaldua's name on that.

Yea, but it was on Seans site so that's why I put Via instead of by

yes, I have the high res pencils hosted on my website. Ebas sent them to me himself

but you could still have mentioned ebas' name...
http://www.seanellery.com

I colour stuff...
SeanE
I want the line art for that

Postby Jemm » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:48 pm

:shock: whoa what a coincidence, i am trying to ink that piece from Eric right now x_x

this is such an informational thread: thanks everyone for the links!

@ mage: inking is hard, but I admire the way you're going after it :) I also recommend you try painter X and the use of the scratchboard pen... it's epic for this kind of stuff.

Good luck!
Jasen Smith wrote:
johnercek wrote:maybe it's just me- but I feel like I'm looking at Mr. T and not wolverine.. :-p

I pity the fool, bub?
Jemm
GIRL!

Postby tedbragg » Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:24 am

I learned how to ink while working the caricature booths at Six Flags. We had to go fast with bullet-tipped markers, and our boss made us stick to the 'house style' -- that resembled something Adam Hughes or Alan Davis would do. No sketching was allowed; we had to punch it out and nail it the first time, every time AND make it look silky smooth. Too bad the park ran us off after the season wrapped.
tedbragg
Picked Clean

Postby Fatboy73 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:53 am

[/quote]
yes, I have the high res pencils hosted on my website. Ebas sent them to me himself
[/quote]

Wow Eric sent you high res copies,I asked for some and he requested liquor first. lol :D
Fatboy73
Überzombie

Postby SeanE » Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:23 am

Fatboy73 wrote:

Wow Eric sent you high res copies,I asked for some and he requested liquor first. lol :D

Yeah, I must have caught him in a particularly benevolent moment... either that or he was already liquored up and I just got lucky with the timing :P

I have a witchblade/aphotodite pinup from him as well, and I got this one off him as well which I got inked ages ago.

http://www.seanellery.com/gallery/album ... a_ebas.jpg
http://www.seanellery.com

I colour stuff...
SeanE
I want the line art for that

Postby Evilimage » Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:03 am

I've slowed down on trying to ink things and I'm backtracking a bit and doing some basic things like basic shading to build up my tool set and get used to the tablet.

But one thing that is holding me back is rotating the page, I'm a BIG page rotater when I ink. I was wondering if there is a way to set hotkeys that can rotate the page on the fly.

The onlything that comes to mind is an action that rotates 90* right and another that does 90* left and put them on hotkeys, but haven't tried it yet.
Evilimage
Zombie

Postby Scott Johnson » Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:08 am

Painter lets you rotate the page on the fly. I believe Adobe has introduced a similar page rotation in the newest version of Photoshop, but I'm not sure. Previously that was the biggest knock against Photoshop for inking.

-Scott
Scott Johnson
Lurker Admin

Postby Evilimage » Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:15 am

Scott Johnson wrote:Painter lets you rotate the page on the fly. I believe Adobe has introduced a similar page rotation in the newest version of Photoshop, but I'm not sure. Previously that was the biggest knock against Photoshop for inking.

-Scott

In illustrator I've made a slight work around,

Action:Select all, rotate tool, 90*

Though there is a big flaw, The pencil layer can't be locked.. so you at least need to have a dupe layer of the pencils free, It's not very fun :(

*Loads Painter*
Evilimage
Zombie

Postby robbdaman » Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:19 am

From what I understand Manga Studio allows you to do all that with ease, honestly I would think it'd be easier to ink in Photoshop than Illustrator and Painter as well, it's harder to get rough edged lines for pencils that are rough edged in AI.

R~
robbdaman
Überzombie

Postby Scott Johnson » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:25 pm

I've never tried inking in Illustrator or Manga Studio. If you have Painter, here's an old tutorial that is still very helpful: http://www.methart.com/tutorials/digi-ink.html
Scott Johnson
Lurker Admin

Postby Eagle » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:46 pm

Said it before, saying it again: Manga Studio kicks serious ass for inking.
Eagle
Überzombie

Postby Evilimage » Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:26 pm

A quick teaser of my WIP

I can't quite get a feel for painter for inking, I think mostly of my massive amount of time spent inside the adobe software, The interface just seems counter intuitive to me.

I actually haven't heard of Manga Studio, It sounds nice though, I will look into it but I'm broke right now :(

Edit: Checked out Manga Studio, Very nice to see a 50$ version, I have a feeling 50$ of my tax return is spoken for :)

I've called Illustrator home for now, the brushes just seem so much smoother to me, the brush is set up to be more like an inking brush with all of that smoothing goodness that it does. Photoshop to me felt more like coloring than inking but I haven't found the right brush style to get my desired effect yet. I plan on inking with it a bit until I have it right. For some reason the guys on Digital Webbing and such that do nice digital inks are all in Photoshop so I'm pretty sure I'm missing something.

Thanks for all of the ongoing input, I have felt myself get much better over the last few days :)

A quick teaser of my WIP
Last edited by Evilimage on Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Evilimage
Zombie

Postby Evilimage » Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:00 pm

Jemm wrote:@ mage: inking is hard, but I admire the way you're going after it

Yea, I have admired line art for as long as I could remember, I guess growing up with a pro artist in the family can corrupt you, haha. I bought my Wacom a while back to do some logo design stuff and play with coloring but now I'm out of work and have wanted to try ink for a long time, so I guess I'm exploding with a furious passion to learn, haha.
Evilimage
Zombie

Postby robbdaman » Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:38 pm

Don't forget that Manga Studio has a no questions asked 30-day money back guarantee so you can try it out for free if it doesn't suit your tastes.

R~
robbdaman
Überzombie

PreviousNext

Return to Public Gallery