Help with ink, CC or at least Zombie moans!

WIPs, finished stuff, it's all good. Anything posted is open for crits unless otherwise stated.

Moderators: Zombie Dave McCaig, Reber, Laura, Dean Welsh, Scott Johnson

Help with ink, CC or at least Zombie moans!

Postby Evilimage » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:56 am

This was my first *Worthy* project to post on here for crits. So far I think it is my strongest form of Comic art out side of lettering. looking to discover what areas I need to focus the most time in improving.

Pencils via Sean Ellery!

Pencils by Alain Norte
Evilimage
Zombie

Re: Help with ink, CC or at least Zombie moans!

Postby Scott Johnson » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:15 pm

Okay, brace yourself, because I'm going to be harsh. Please don't take offense:

I think you have a long way to go in learning the craft if inking, and its not something that can be learned overnight. Sean put a lot of time and effort in pencilling that pinup, and you pretty much ignored the quality of his linework and haphazardly tossed lines around in a sloppy fashion. Try and stay true to what the penciller intended and take care to follow his work more closely.

If you are serious about learning, you should start with the basics. And it doesn't matter if you're doing it traditionally or digitally.
For starters, there are a couple of books out there that are written specifically for comic book inking.
Here is the link to Gary Martin's book: http://www.amazon.com/Art-Comic-Book-Inking-2nd/dp/1593074050/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1233947000&sr=1-1

And here is a link to DC's guide: http://www.amazon.com/DC-Comics-Guide-Inking/dp/0823010295/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1233947000&sr=1-2

In addition, this book is not comic book specific, but is generally considered to be the bible of pen & ink illustration. It gets pretty in-depth: http://www.amazon.com/Rendering-Pen-Ink-Techniques-Illustrators/dp/0823045293/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1233947222&sr=1-1
Scott Johnson
Lurker Admin

Postby Evilimage » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:01 pm

Scott Johnson wrote:Okay, brace yourself, because I'm going to be harsh. Please don't take offense:

I think you have a long way to go in learning the craft if inking, and its not something that can be learned overnight. Sean put a lot of time and effort in pencilling that pinup, and you pretty much ignored the quality of his linework and haphazardly tossed lines around in a sloppy fashion. Try and stay true to what the penciller intended and take care to follow his work more closely.

If you are serious about learning, you should start with the basics. And it doesn't matter if you're doing it traditionally or digitally.
For starters, there are a couple of books out there that are written specifically for comic book inking.
Here is the link to Gary Martin's book: http://www.amazon.com/Art-Comic-Book-Inking-2nd/dp/1593074050/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1233947000&sr=1-1

And here is a link to DC's guide: http://www.amazon.com/DC-Comics-Guide-Inking/dp/0823010295/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1233947000&sr=1-2

In addition, this book is not comic book specific, but is generally considered to be the bible of pen & ink illustration. It gets pretty in-depth: http://www.amazon.com/Rendering-Pen-Ink-Techniques-Illustrators/dp/0823045293/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1233947222&sr=1-1

Thanks for the CC, I totally understand staying true to the line art, I used illustrator for those because I liked the stylized lines though my current WIP is done in PS CS3 and so far is much cleaner and true to the lines! Thanks for the book links, I've been searching for video tutorials for some time that are good but haven't had much luck. Here is a rough look at my WIP
Evilimage
Zombie

Postby MBirkhofer » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:31 pm

Just to point it out.
Thats Eric basaldua's name on that.
MBirkhofer
Überzombie

Postby robbdaman » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:42 pm

Well, essentially what you're doing is more of a coloring book look (the kind for kids) rather than comic book lineart but as Scott stated it's sloppy even compared to a coloring book. Crisp defined lines that have variation in line weight is one of the key things you need to look at and practice more on. If all the lines are the same the image looks flat and has no depth. I'm sure the guides that Scott linked will help.

R~
robbdaman
Überzombie

Postby Evilimage » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:51 pm

MBirkhofer wrote:Just to point it out.
Thats Eric basaldua's name on that.

Yea, but it was on Seans site so that's why I put Via instead of by
Evilimage
Zombie

Postby Scott Johnson » Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:21 pm

For the time being you should probably stick to tighter pencils like Eric's drawing (or simpler styles if you choose), rather than loose sketches that require more interpretation on your part. On the Venom and zombie, your interpretation has been to completely ignore all the shading indicated in the sketch...I'm assuming because its difficult to do. A skilled inker can do an ink-line representation of that shading. But these days, comic book pencillers are drawing much tighter and expect their inkers to trace the lines religiously. Also, more and more are moving toward open-line styles requiring much of the light and shade responsibilities to fall on the colorist instead. Sadly, there seems to be less artistry required by the inker then before. But I digress. Choose tight pencils at first so you can learn the technical aspects of inking. Later, after you learn the rules, you can explore the artistry of inking and try to interpret looser drawings.

-Scott
Scott Johnson
Lurker Admin

Postby Evilimage » Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:22 pm

Scott Johnson wrote:For the time being you should probably stick to tighter pencils like Eric's drawing (or simpler styles if you choose), rather than loose sketches that require more interpretation on your part. On the Venom and zombie, your interpretation has been to completely ignore all the shading indicated in the sketch...I'm assuming because its difficult to do. A skilled inker can do an ink-line representation of that shading. But these days, comic book pencillers are drawing much tighter and expect their inkers to trace the lines religiously. Also, more and more are moving toward open-line styles requiring much of the light and shade responsibilities to fall on the colorist instead. Sadly, there seems to be less artistry required by the inker then before. But I digress. Choose tight pencils at first so you can learn the technical aspects of inking. Later, after you learn the rules, you can explore the artistry of inking and try to interpret looser drawings.

-Scott

Thanks for the advice, what kinds of brushes would you advise using for what jobs? The tutorial that i followed in the first place was just using a 3 point round for everything, but the more I read about ink and paper inking that that shouldn't be the case, I think that could be the root of my line consistency.
Evilimage
Zombie

Postby Jason Lewis » Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:52 pm

Are you using a tablet or a mouse? If you're using a tablet set the box after diameter in your brush settings to pressure and turn the variation all the way up. that way you can control the lines thickness by how heavy or light your strokes are.
Jason Lewis
Überzombie

Postby Evilimage » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:11 pm

Jason Lewis wrote:Are you using a tablet or a mouse? If you're using a tablet set the box after diameter in your brush settings to pressure and turn the variation all the way up. that way you can control the lines thickness by how heavy or light your strokes are.

I'm using a Wacom Bamboo, i think that's how it's setup now but I'll check it out.
Evilimage
Zombie

Postby Sixter » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:17 pm

I like Jeff Smith.

Oh, goodness. Look at my wrist. I gotta go.
Sixter
Überzombie

Postby Evilimage » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:35 pm

Sixter wrote:Bunch of youtube videos

Thanks dude! :rawk:
Evilimage
Zombie

Postby Sixter » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:58 pm

There is a ton more on YouTube. I like watching Jim Lee ink his own stuff. He is so loose with his pencils because he knows how he will ink it. Found this pencils/inked comparison looking at the Wildstorm blog
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_j00PDhcWMlE/S ... oninks.jpg
Sixter
Überzombie

Postby Evilimage » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:03 pm

Sixter wrote:There is a ton more on YouTube. I like watching Jim Lee ink his own stuff. He is so loose with his pencils because he knows how he will ink it. Found this pencils/inked comparison looking at the Wildstorm blog
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_j00PDhcWMlE/S ... oninks.jpg

Yea i'ma keep watching, Need to find some nice shading with ink demos though.
Evilimage
Zombie

Postby Sixter » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:10 pm

Google is your friend. With "shading ink" as my search term, I found this as the first link.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Articles2/3698/194/

Don't forget, white is often added after inking, not only to correct mistakes, but to add specular highlights. I've seen video of Jim Lee pulling out his white out pen at the end and adding highlights and touch ups.
Sixter
Überzombie

Next

Return to Public Gallery