Jungle Girl WIP

WIPs, finished stuff, it's all good. Anything posted is open for crits unless otherwise stated.

Moderators: Zombie Dave McCaig, Reber, Laura, Dean Welsh, Scott Johnson

Jungle Girl WIP

Postby JohnFebonio » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:12 pm

Trying a different rendering process. This is a copy of the main figure which is down a layer from the rest of the of the piece. Wanted to see what you guys thought of the new process.

Last edited by JohnFebonio on Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
JohnFebonio
Überzombie

Re: Jungle Girl

Postby Nathan » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:31 pm

Any process in which you start painting the main figure without first establishing the color/value/saturation of the background is a bad process, IMO. Have you even flatted this page yet? Working piecemeal like this is likely to result in a finished work that lacks cohesion. Also, you really need to stop using black for your shadows. Basic color theory is that a shadow is made up of three things: a darker tone of the local color, the complement of the local color, and the color blue. No black.
Nathan
this guy knows to do all outstanding

Postby JohnFebonio » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:37 pm

The page is flatted. I just whited out the rest for the jpeg because I wanted the focus of the critique to be on the main figure. Just wanted to get some thought on the flesh rendering. Thanks for the input.
JohnFebonio
Überzombie

Postby Steve Firchow » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:45 pm

John...looks good. What Nathan said in his crass Canadian way is absolutely true(in my experience).

We all want to get straight to the hot babe....but, establishing a solid foundation FIRST will result in an EVEN HOTTER BABE!!!!!(My American priorities)

Again...looks good...don't use black for shadows...keep up the good work....finish this one and post more:)
Last edited by Steve Firchow on Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Firchow
Überzombie

Postby Jason Lewis » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:54 pm

Yeah, what the other two guys said. I personally find that something in the range of c=85 m=100 y=85 works good with skin tones.
Jason Lewis
Überzombie

Postby JohnFebonio » Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:54 am

Thanks guys. I'll finish this one up and get it up here for further critique.
JohnFebonio
Überzombie

Postby Nathan » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:17 am

Steve Firchow wrote:John...looks good. What Nathan said in his crass Canadian way is absolutely true(in my experience).

We all want to get straight to the hot babe....but, establishing a solid foundation FIRST will result in an EVEN HOTTER BABE!!!!!(My American priorities)

Again...looks good...don't use black for shadows...keep up the good work....finish this one and post more:)

Sorry. I didn't mean to be crass. I thought I was being frank. Or brusque. ... I'm a grumpy guy. :oops:
Nathan
this guy knows to do all outstanding

Postby Sweeney » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:12 am

It's hard to judge a piece with rendering on one character in a crowd. with no background colors. Is it night? Sunset? early morning? Mid day? Are we on Earth, Mars or some other planet? All of those will drastically affect your color choices. Right now, it looks like you're rendering solely on base tones, rather than incorporating the environment.

That said, I can offer a few pointers.

LIghtsource: Your lighting is inconsistent - her face is light from above right, but you have highlights and shading on her stomach, which would be in shadow as she is hunched over. You've rendered her legs to the center of the form, instead of following the light source. If the light is coming from above and to left (our left), then it should be hitting the leg on the left side, not the center. Something that helps is to visualize where her body will cast shadows on itself.

Second, this is pretty flat. If you look at it in grayscale, you don't see much difference in values between the shadows and highlights. In grayscale, I would think she is being lit by a weak light source like the moon, instead of daylight colors you've established.

You've already been told about shadows, and not adding black to make darker tones. Using a contrasting tint, like the desaturated purples, will really make her warm skin tones pop, give her more depth and make her look more three dimensional.

A couple of articles on my blog that might help you:

Mixing colors in Photoshop

The importance of establishing background colors

Quickie repaint and values comparison:

Nathan wrote:Sorry. I didn't mean to be crass. I thought I was being frank. Or brusque. ... I'm a grumpy guy. :oops:

Nathan - the Christian Bale of Gutterzombie.com
Sweeney
The Punisher

Postby Brian Frey ~ halfmoth » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:06 am

Nathan wrote: I thought I was being frank.

Frank, yeah, or Kurt. I mean curt.
== pleasant taste; some monsterism ==
ImageImage
Brian Frey ~ halfmoth
Überzombie

Postby JohnFebonio » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:40 am

Thanks for the critique Mark. I really wasn't expecting to get such attention from all you guys for something as simple as this little experiment. But ,you you're kind of my online art teacher. I'm on your website all the time. You taught me how to set up my holds. Thanks for the tip on the desaturated purples I'm away from my home computer and have been mulling over this shadows issue. Lighting: I'm trying a three point lightsource that will be fully fleshed out and hopefully make sense when this is all done. I always love repaints. So, thanks for that too.

Love you guys :rawk:

Even you Nathan
JohnFebonio
Überzombie

Postby spidey0318 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:46 pm

its a good thing i read this post. Thanks Mark for the links to your blog. Very helpful.
wow...colors!
spidey0318
Zombie

Postby Zombie Dave McCaig » Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:26 pm

Just a note on Sweeney's paintover- while it looks more dynamic, it also looks like she got caught in the desert instead of the jungle. I think the amount of contrast in the original is ok in this case, honestly.
Prepare the mental-bleach solution of two parts whiskey to two parts whisky.
Zombie Dave McCaig
Clownshoes
Clownshoes

Postby JohnFebonio » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:32 pm

Thanks for the input Dave. I'm not gonna take the contrast as far as Mark took it. Since I put up such a blank slate as far as environment anybody who wanted to do a repaint could have pulled into whatever mood that struck them. I've always drawn a huge amount of influence from Frank Frazetta. So, that's the the type of tone I'm going for in this piece. :rawk:
JohnFebonio
Überzombie

Postby Steve Firchow » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:33 pm

Nathan wrote:
Steve Firchow wrote:John...looks good. What Nathan said in his crass Canadian way is absolutely true(in my experience).

Sorry. I didn't mean to be crass. I thought I was being frank. Or brusque. ... I'm a grumpy guy. :oops:

I really just wanted an excuse to use the word 'crass'. I thought your brusque, frank critique was right on the money.

Being Canadian is another issue entirely but since I'm a magnanimous,forgiving individual, I won't hold your nationality against you :)

As far as the art goes, I dig Sweeneys dramatic shadow treatment but agree with Dave that the contrast is a bit much(this, coming from a guy who loves high contrast)

Have you finished this yet John? (no pressure)
Steve Firchow
Überzombie

Postby Jason Lewis » Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:39 am

John! Your wish came true! The big guns took some time off from yelling at Sean to look at your shit! Firchow is even asking for an update! Steve Fucking Firchow! Where you at, dawg!
Jason Lewis
Überzombie

Next

Return to Public Gallery