Steve Platt: Ironman

WIPs, finished stuff, it's all good. Anything posted is open for crits unless otherwise stated.

Moderators: Zombie Dave McCaig, Reber, Laura, Dean Welsh, Scott Johnson

Steve Platt: Ironman

Postby SeanE » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:27 am

Pencils by Steve Platt (man you can *never* find his stuff on the net!) and inks by David Rivera

Ok...

not monotone colours - check
no use of textures or filters of any kind - check (no, really, this *is* entirely brush, gradient, smudge and eraser tools only!... Swear to Bob! *hand on heart*)
follow the lineart with shading - check?
depth in image - welll.... check?

I busted my ass trying to make sure Ironman stood out against the explosion and looked closer than the rest. I based the colour scheme on a Deadpool "Ka-booom" picture by martegodpopo at Deviantart (http://martegodpopo.deviantart.com/art/ ... -106617331) as a reference and inspiration which seemed to do the trick... Still, had a bugger of a time making Ironman decently visible against that explosion.

cheers
Sean
http://www.seanellery.com

I colour stuff...
SeanE
I want the line art for that

Re: Steve Platt: Ironman

Postby Jemm » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:36 am

very nice sean, i love it. specially the colors you chose. :)
Jasen Smith wrote:
johnercek wrote:maybe it's just me- but I feel like I'm looking at Mr. T and not wolverine.. :-p

I pity the fool, bub?
Jemm
GIRL!

Postby Marc Lewis » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:53 am

The planes weren't separated enough for me. I did a quick and ugly overpaint and held the explosion and its lines with the colors you had in the background.
ironman3-po.jpg
ironman3-po.jpg (233.12 KiB) Viewed 3174 times
Colors by MAL
web
deviant
The Conjurer Comic

"Obsession has to have action. Pride turns on the drive."
Marc Lewis
Überzombie

Postby BoOoM » Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:11 am

Overall I think this is pretty nice
I did a quick overpaint

I put some more blue into ironmans colors
added a stronger glow to the explosion
and blured it
and some colder colors on to the top of the bg since the bottom is so hot

obviously you wouldnt blur the signaturesand you could do a nicer motion blur with several selections
Attachments
Seanman.jpg
Seanman.jpg (181.01 KiB) Viewed 3148 times
Nicolas Chapuis
BoOoM.deviantart.com
BoOoM
Überzombie

Postby tennesseeg4 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:06 am

I added some saturation to iron man and brighter rim lighting.
tennesseeg4
Zombie

Postby SebVector » Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:44 am

*Sean : Cool pic but I think the image is a bit to black. I think the explosion would make more light.
The colors of Ironman and the background seem to blend to much with eachother. It looks like it needs a wider color range.
-Seba
SebVector
Zombie

Postby Vanessa » Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:58 am

Colour holding that explosion makes a huge difference, and definitely brings Tony to the front of the page.
Vanessa
Überzombie

Postby Sweeney » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:20 am

The lineart here has serious lighting problems that are making your job even more difficult.

The bent leg, closed fist and face says lighting is coming from front. The extended arm says lighting is from overhead. His right (our left) shoulder armor says lighting is from above and below and not from front. Picking art with a single, consistent light source would be a good start.

Sweeney
The Punisher

Postby DCJosh » Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:58 pm

pretty decent

tho i agree that it needs more to bring iron man out of the picture. make him stand out.

you got the same colors all over the place and Iron Man just disappears into the explosion/smoke

i like marc lewis' rought paint over. its dirty, but if you did it right keeping the contrast between the explosion and iron man like that itd help a lot
and i like what tennesseeg4 did too. needs a little more contrast. metals a pretty high contrast substance so i like how it looks in his paintover. the darks are darks and the highlights that are caught are nice and bright. helps define the form better IMO

i agree with a bit of what sweeney's said as well. i have to add that why is the rim light on ironmans hand look like its coming from above/behind. the source of the explosion is on the bottom of the page so i'd be putting a rim light on the bottom of his thumb and palm there. the lack of it kinda makes it weird. just that its not catching light where it probably is supposed to be

thems just my thoughts tho

:D
-Click to view my Digital Portfolio-
DCJosh
Überzombie

Postby SeanE » Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:07 am

ok

I like Marc's paintover too so I'll add that, but a tad more subtley perhaps? :P

I also like Boom's motion blur so I'll have a go at that as well and see what happens

@sweeney - ok I can fix all the pointers etc but what can I do about the foreshortening issue in your last point to separate those planes?

and for those who can't see the initial picture at all just now - my host server is down and my entire site is offline it seems. I get 'page not found' for everything. Since it's hosted in the Netherlands, I can but wait until they fix it... :?

I colour stuff...
SeanE

Postby Alex Sollazzo » Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:18 am

Can probably fix foreshortening by brightening and warming the up close areas, and darkening/cooling the areas you want to push back in the space.

To me the red parts of his armor are very undersaturated and grey which is making him sorta boring looking compared to the background.
Alex Sollazzo - Colourist looking for work, alex@alexsollazzo.com
http://www.alexsollazzo.com/
Alex Sollazzo
Überzombie

Postby SeanE » Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:13 am

fixes...

Blurred and increased thesaturation on the background and looks pretty neat to me. Had to cut out the background explosion inks which was an interesting thing to do (took long enough!) and put them on their own layer
I upped the saturation on Ironman and lowered the blues a bit too
Otherwise all the fixes that Sweeney mentioned, besides the foreshortened arm bit.

thanx guys...! (using imageshack for this pic at present - bloody site is still down...)

cheers
Sean

I colour stuff...
SeanE

Postby Jemm » Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:03 am

um... what about iron man? Maybe coloring the outlines of the explosion a little more and also color holding that leg of iron man some more, then iron man himself a bit, then the only lines that really should remain black if at all is his foremost extended hand, really. If you used blur for the explosion, then ironman and his legs, especially that one behind, can't be so sharp. Also if you color hold the outlines, you can make a veil of the bg color for the sections you did render as well, it works well.

However I really loved your color choices still, and the increased saturation definitely helps.
Jasen Smith wrote:
johnercek wrote:maybe it's just me- but I feel like I'm looking at Mr. T and not wolverine.. :-p

I pity the fool, bub?
Jemm
GIRL!

Postby rancez » Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:08 am

Hi Sean! I like the update!
Well done!
Mauro Barbosa
Caricaturist, Comic colorist and Flatter.
http://www.artwanted.com/rancez
rancez
grand zombie

Postby Sweeney » Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:44 am

Think about the physics of the explosion Sean - all the heat, light and fuel are at the very bottom. The stuff at the top is all the dirt and dust kicked up by the explosion. Notice the heavy shadows all around the edges of the explosion? That indicates the explosion is lighting up the stuff at the top. At the top it is not a source of light.

Color holding his bent leg pushes it back into the explosion instead of separating it. Making it solid puts IM in front of the explosion, and the contrast makes him pop. Cooling off the highlights on top of IM also separate him from the smoke in behind, and reflects the nighttime sky you have, and possibly an unseen moon.

Cooling off his forearm pushes it back, brightening and saturating his palm brings it forward. Presto - foreshortening.

Sweeney
The Punisher

Next

Return to Public Gallery