Ka-Blam colour-problem! 0_o Heelp!

Photoshop/painter techniques. Brush creation and sharing. Actions. How-to's. Etc.

Moderators: Zombie Dave McCaig, Reber, Laura, Dean Welsh, Scott Johnson

Ka-Blam colour-problem! 0_o Heelp!

Postby Predabot » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:18 am

So, I've become an assistant editor on Sweden's only Superhero Comics Fanzine. :o

(Swedish Super Comics, which you can check out here. Everything's in Swedish tho... haven't had time to complete my English translation yet.)

And being a fanzine, we obviously utilize a Print-On-Demand service to print our small, small circulation. Well, a continuous problem is the COLOUR CORRECTNESS. :shake:

In the past the colours always came out waay too dark and the reds were always exaggerated for some reason. Like if they hadn't calibrated their friggin' screens and printers. When I came on board one the first things that I set out to do, was try to remedy that situation. Alas, I began experimenting with adjustment-layers and scans combined with the original files, in order to come up with a good simulation of the error that Ka-Blam produces. Finally, I was able to correct the problem decently, by messing up our own files almost just right, prior to uploading to Ka-Blam, so that their own errors would be canceled out.

But what do I see when I get the latest print-test...!! They've changed calibration or colour-profile or whatever, and now it doesn't print too dark or too red at all, rather it's too light, and the blues are too cyan. :cry:

This thing is driving me insane... Please, if there's anyone out there that can provide info on what colour-profile Ka-Blam uses, and if they really truly do calibrate, then let me know. And of course if there's anything that can be done to remedy this...

Comments and ideas are supremely appreciated ASAP, because the deadline is in only a few hours :shock:
Predabot
grand zombie

Re: Ka-Blam colour-problem! 0_o Heelp!

Postby hughferriss » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:53 pm

I'd like to hear the answer to this one, too. This makes me nervous about Ka-Blam.
hughferriss
Fresh Meat

Postby Goran » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:14 pm

your system is calibratet?
wouldnt be the best when you ask them directly what kind of color profile they use
Goran
Überzombie

Postby peruzzo » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:20 pm

uh, try contacting them? When I printed with them, they were quick to answer all of my questions. My comics also printed a bit dark, but the color was pretty spot on. I just figured the increased darkness was an aspect of the printing....

anyway, I would just let them know of your problems- they seem to be pretty good on the customer service side of things....
peruzzo
Überzombie

Postby MBirkhofer » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:23 pm

Ask them directly.
http://ka-blam.com/printing/index.php?p ... sageCenter

We talked about it once before, but I don't think we ever came up with any idea why they ask for RGB files, and not CYMK.
Are you sending them RGB like they ask, or cymk?
MBirkhofer
Überzombie

Postby Predabot » Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:30 am

Cheers for the replies, mates. :)
appomo wrote:your system is calibratet?
wouldnt be the best when you ask them directly what kind of color profile they use
Well, I'm as calibrated as you can get with nothing but Adobe Alpha and a dark room, I suppose.

Yeah, I guess you're right that the best is probably to find out what kind of RGB-profile they're using. I usually use an sRGB IEC61966 profile calibrated for my monitor, but they might be using Adobe RGB.

MBirkhofer wrote:Ask them directly.
http://ka-blam.com/printing/index.php?p ... sageCenter

We talked about it once before, but I don't think we ever came up with any idea why they ask for RGB files, and not CYMK.
Are you sending them RGB like they ask, or cymk?
Isn't the colour-profile because of the printing-technology? They use Digital Print, and I believe that technology is more like a high-quality Inkjet than a traditional Offset printer.

I am most definitely sending them RGB, and I'm also working in RGB on these projects.
Predabot
grand zombie

Postby MBirkhofer » Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:20 am

Inkjets are still CYMK.
Maybe they use a 6 color printer. But I doubt that, that would just increase printing costs I would suspect.
MBirkhofer
Überzombie

Postby Predabot » Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:14 pm

MBirkhofer wrote:Inkjets are still CYMK.
Maybe they use a 6 color printer. But I doubt that, that would just increase printing costs I would suspect.
Do'e! You're right Birkhofer... I've even seen the cartridges numerous, numerous times... they're coloured like the contents. :zombie:

I think I'm going to ask them this specifically once I ask for what colour-profile they're using as well.

I'm thinking this MAY have something to do with it tho:

All color printers (wax, dye-sub, laser, or inkjet) utilize CMYK toners and newer color printers have internal default circuitry which maximizes color output when left in RGB mode and for many of us this is very satisfactory even though sagacious digital printmakers will insist on CMYK conversions.

Found in this article.
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m ... _19836497/

Maybe even tho the printer of course uses the ol' 4-colour system it's been optimized for RGB-files...? But why the manufacturers have started optimizing the equipment for that, is anyones guess. Maybe it's a question about cost and ease of use? Cheaper printers ( which may be what Ka-Blam has) optimize the control circuits for RGB in order to make it simpler for the less experienced user that will most likely buy them, while the more expensive stuff is generally bought by pro's that want accuracy instead of low cost.
Predabot
grand zombie

Postby MBirkhofer » Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:37 pm

Yeah, if you go down to Best buy and by a printer, it will almost certainly have RGB drivers, and if you want accurate color printing, having the file be in RGB is your best bet.
When I do test prints on my Canon, that is what I do. CYMK, having PS handle, etc, never works well. Printer manages color, and have adobe rgb profile set for test prints. And of course convert and send off as cymk.

Presumably, yes, there printers have RGB drivers. But its not like they can actually print the RGB gamut.
MBirkhofer
Überzombie

Postby Andrew Cramer » Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:30 am

So did you find out what the problem was?
Andrew Cramer
oICEMANo

Postby Predabot » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:57 am

No, there just wasn't time to go in-depth until the deadline for the Fanzine was up. But I'm going to have an in-depth chat with Ka-Blam in a couple of days, to make sure everything is stellar until the next issue. ( which will be grayscale, but the cover is always in colour.)

Right now I just want to chill for a few days. The last couple of weeks have been pretty hectic, with most of my creative energy going to the Fanzine. So now it's party-time! :rawk: :ice:
Predabot
grand zombie

Postby Dash Martin » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:58 am

I've used Ka-Blam and the colors always come out spot on. My RGB settings are set to Adobe RGB with CMYK set to U.S. Web Coated (SWOP) v2. Also, if you're using an LCD monitor, make sure it's a decent quality one. A lot of them display way too bright if you don't adjust them (if they let you readjust them). I've had great luck with Dell's. They supposedly use the same screens as the Apple displays. Hope that helps!
Dash Martin
grand zombie

Postby WhisperPntr » Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:35 pm

I just sent them a message asking for a print profile but I agree that this is a problem. Did you go ahead and send them a message already?
WhisperPntr
Fresh Meat

Postby Dash Martin » Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:23 pm

WhisperPntr wrote:I just sent them a message asking for a print profile but I agree that this is a problem. Did you go ahead and send them a message already?

What color settings are you using?
Dash Martin
grand zombie

Postby WhisperPntr » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:20 am

I just got a reply and they told me that one has to calibrate to the file of their sample book.

Otherwise I haven't printed with kablam for this reason and only bought their sample book.

So you might want to go ahead and contact them and tell them what happened.

If you calibrated with their sample file and then it changed, ask them if it will change again.
WhisperPntr
Fresh Meat

Next

Return to Tricks & Techniques