Do you build your files in RGB or CMYK?

Photoshop/painter techniques. Brush creation and sharing. Actions. How-to's. Etc.

Moderators: Zombie Dave McCaig, Reber, Laura, Dean Welsh, Scott Johnson

Do you build your files in RGB or CMYK?

Postby TomMartinArt » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:24 pm

I'm trying to work with a colorist. I requested she send me the RGB files and she replied that
...all of my colors are done in CMYK as per the industry standard and no colorist should be coloring in or sending you RGB files unless you are producing a web series. Converting RGB files to CMYK can cause large saturation issues and distortions and other major fluctuations when the book is run by the printing company. My husband worked at one of the best small-run and magazine printing companies in Mid-West and I am very familiar with the issues this causes with both the printed colors and the black lines. Therefore, I don't use RGB at all."

Am I crazy or is this person ill-informed about RGB?? I mean, I've been winging it on my own for a long time and maybe I'm wrong, but when I was trained it was work in RGB, convert to CMYK. Any saturation problems were the fault of a heavy hand, and it just took nuance to make it work. I've known several people that seem to just adhere to CMYK when coloring because someone told them that's what you do, and their work has suffered for it. I'm 97% certain I'm doing things just fine, and that this person has been misinformed- my files convert and print well, and I can pull that nice glow-y look out of the colors. Working in CMYK seems like trying to have sex with a space suit on. ...That really is the best comparison I could come up with, and I did try.

I'd accept her CMYK files, but... they don't look very good. They look about how I'd expect CMYK files to look when the file was built in CMYK. Muddled, tan-yellow-ish-gray, dull. Nothing pops.

Do you work in CMYK, and if so do you get good results (i.e. lemme see something you built in CMYK)? Am I right, or have I been doing this wrong for seventeen years?
TomMartinArt
Fresh Meat

Re: Do you build your files in RGB or CMYK?

Postby Eagle » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:21 pm

In the year of our lord, seventeen and twenty, there is no Earthly reason for a comic book artist to work in CMYK. You may as well be binding your feet to make them look dainty. You are only crippling yourself.

Work in RGB. Turn on View->Proof Colours and Gamut Warning to check your work as you go along if you must. You can also use a CMYK colour picker if you're really determined, but it's not necessary.

When you're done, save a separate copy of your working file that contains only a single flattened layer, and convert that to CMYK. Keep your layered file as RGB to make any changes needed, then resave a flattened copy in CMYK.

Nothing works in CMYK except printing, so why fuck everything else up too just because the last piece of the work has to be in an ancient, outdated, broken, agonizing standard?
Eagle
Überzombie

Postby TomMartinArt » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:57 am

Exactly how I feel, but my financier / writer is seeing this pop up a lot and now thinks there's no clear consensus as to what's the best way, so if a colorist wants to go only CMYK, I shouldn't raise a fuss. It's mindboggling that enough people work in CMYK that this is now a thing that I have to pretend is okay.
TomMartinArt
Fresh Meat

Postby Eagle » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:47 am

Welp. That's fucked and your book's gonna look like ass. Sorry. :(
Eagle
Überzombie

Postby TomMartinArt » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:51 am

Doing my best to stave that off. We've not yet selected a colorist, but the one from the first message has been passed on. I'm going to keep fighting the good fight, but maaaan, I was hoping to worry about a colorist as little as possible.
TomMartinArt
Fresh Meat

Postby Eagle » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:02 pm

Good luck finding someone who knows what they're doing!
Eagle
Überzombie

Postby HYst00 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:54 pm

Cohen, Nike Factory Outlet ou Weil, Louboutin Wedding Shoes je ne Abercrombie and fitch store sais Adidas Yeezy Cheap plus, Hogan Outlet mais sur Toms Factory Outlet l’instant ce fut une illumination. Une illumination abominable. Docteur Cheap Nike Air Huarache Kahn… Et Canada goose dam le nom du Original Ugg Boots grand technicien ? L’un Cheap Retro Jordans For Sale entra?nait Air Max Kopen l’autre Kobe Shoes Nike : TOMS STORE Docteur Klotz. ?a y Pandora Store Sale est. Air Max Pas Cher Docteur Kahn et docteur Klotz. Kahn et Klotz. Telle était l’association à ugg clearance laquelle nous nous Air Max Sneakers étions ugg factory outlet livrés. Tels nike sb stefan janoski avaient été canada goose jackets on sale nos bourreaux. Nike Shoes Sale Store ? Mais TOMS For Sale ne peut-on pas attendre Adidas Superstar ?… huarache sneakers ? toms shoes outlet – ? canada goose jacket outlet Attendre… Ce Negozi Pandora qu’il faut UGG Boots Cheap faire, Nike Air Huarache For Sale il Ugg Outlet Online Store faut le faire maintenant ; Air max dam dans une perspective comme celle-ci, chaque jour UGG BOOTS FOR WOMEN crée un danger de nike sportschuhe plus… ? Cheap Nike Huarache Klotz, Kahn. Klotz Adidas Yeezy Boost 350 For Sale et Kahn. Ha ! Il faudrait écrire Billige Nike Sko cela à Irène, elle comprendrait… Mais Zapatillas Nike Air Max Baratas par miracle UGGS For Women Irène était là botas de futbol ; et elle rirait. Jordan Sneakers For Sale Il y Cheap Nike Free Run a des choses qu’on Air max levně ne Cheap Michael Kors Handbags peut jamais dire, Mens Nike Air Max les nike jordan shoes pensées Discount TOMS du Uggs Pas Cher Soldes dessous. Il chaussure basket homme y avait Doudoune Moncler Pas Cher des choses Ugg Pas Cher Femme qui Nike Shox Cheap n’avaient Discount Air Max jamais été dites entre The official UGG nous. Cette fois Adidas Neo Discount Sale encore elle Nike Outlet partirait sans savoir. Cheap Toms Outlet Store Guillaume zapatillas nike baratas entendit tout à converse store coup la voix Vans Black Sneakers d’Hersent : ? Une grammaire Scarpe Air Max fran?aise ? Bloch Air Nike ! Un Air Jordan Retro Sale dictionnaire ? Re-Bloch Michael Kors Clearance !… Nike Shox discount Sale Tu comprends ?… Discount Ray Ban Sunglasses ? Parbleu ! Ces Moncler Outlet médecins cheap nike air max qui fouillent dans Nike Online Store notre chair, re-Bloch ! Pouvions-nous Ugg Pas Cher En France supporter cela ?… Des hasards ?… Ces nike air hasards newest lebron shoes avaient vraiment Timberland Outlet des allures de conspiration. Discount Christian Louboutin Shoes Et Cheap Toms Shoes Outlet c’était Jordan Shoes For Cheap pour ?a Coach Outlet Store Online qu’on allait fusiller Hersent Nike Roshe Run Sale !…

nike sneakers Ce qu’on pense, ce qu’on a pensé. Boty Nike Air Ce besoin que vous avez Reebok Outlet Store de dépouiller les êtres, de les étaler Nike Air Max Goedkoop devant vous… La vie…

Sa voix Zapatillas Air Max me tira d’un air force one pas cher songe absurde. J’étais devant le tribunal, témoin Doudoune Moncler Femme Pas Cher à décharge. Michael Kors Handbags Discount J’avais obtenu Canada Goose Online Store la Canada Goose Outlet révision pour faits nouveaux. Je révélais aux Nike Tn Requin Pas Cher juges, au Cheap True Religion Jeans public, les actions criminelles Nike Huarache Womens Cheap de new pandora charms Klotz et Kahn. Nike Air Shoes Cette Cheap Michael Kors accusation qui Pandora Outlet Store pesait sur moi, muette, cette Official NHL Jerseys accusation jamais Nike joggesko proférée, Hugo Boss Sale elle était trop scarpe nike horrible. J’avais besoin Moncler Outlet Store de ADIDAS NMD SALE ON LINE la rejeter, de la Adidas Originals Sale rejeter sur Descuentos Nike quelqu’un. J’avais besoin d’accuser quelqu’un très haut, nike mercurial soccer cleats très fort. Comme ils étaient commodes ! Vous avez fait une gaffe ? Bloch Nike Free Run 5.0 Womens ! Vous avez volé un voisin, Nike Kyrie violé une petite fille ? モンクレール レディース Re-Bloch Nike Air Max Cheap ! Ce qui est merveilleux, c’est cheap uggs for women justement qu’il Moncler Jackets Discount Marketplace s’en trouve toujours un, c’est Adidas Soccer Cleats Cheap que nike air jordan pas cher nous louboutin heels pouvons moncler jacket sale satisfaire à Uggs For Cheap tout coup ジョーダン スニーカー sur Pandora Store eux notre besoin Michael Kors d’accuser, notre vans shoe store besoin Pandora Style Beads de Nike Air 90 nous Nike Air Women délivrer UGGS Outlet du mal. Grace à eux nous n’étions jamais fautifs.

— Excusez-moi, dit-il. chaussures nike pas cher Je vous Nike Air Damen ai mal Nike Shoes Discount Marketplace entendue…

Cheap Air Max La Chaussure Nike Pas Cher vie, Canada Goose Womens Coats ce n’est pas Moncler Sale seulement nos Nike Air Pas Cher pensées, dit-elle.

— Mais Irène, Official Toms Shoes Outlet il Boutique Ugg n’y a Yeezy Boost Sale Online pas Jordan Shoes Air autre chose longchamp bags on sale ! Mais günstige nike schuhe nous Adidas Shoes Discount Marketplace sommes nos pensées, voyons ! Yeezy Black C’est tellement Nike Shoes Online évident. Si l’on 23 IS BACK Store pouvait… Allez-vous soutenir Chaussure Nike Air Max Pas Cher le Cheap Real Jordans contraire ?…

— Dois-je répéter, nike shoes dit-elle, qu’il ne s’agit pas Cheap Air Max Trainers de adidas store moi ?… Tenez, christian louboutin outlet je Nike Soccer Cleats Boots pensais à ce que vous m’avez raconté Soccer Boots Outlet nike depuis le début de zapatos de futbol nike la Nike Air Max Sale soirée. Cette histoire Nike Store d’Hersent, par exemple… Mathilde, l’aiguille de Coach Bags On Sale la balance, – Ca?n !… Comme cela TOMS OUTLET fait adidas outlet tableau new jordan releases ! Et comme ?a vous faisait Boost Yeezy Sale On Line du bien d’en Adidas Originals Superstar parler Scarpe Nike Scontate !

— Irène, s’écria-t-il. Mais Adidas NMD For Sale pourquoi ?… Pourquoi ?…

Elle retro jordans for cheap n’avait pas eu pour dire cela Cheap True Religion Jeans le moindre cheap uggs accent nike schuhe günstig vindicatif. Pandora Outlet Elle avait gardé, pandora beads ou retrouvé, sa voix calme, son visage transparent, Canada Goose Outlet son Chaussure Air Max air Air Max 90 d’être au delà. Et pourtant Jordan Store il Nike Factory Store semblait nike tn pas cher à Guillaume fitflops sale uk que, Cheap Louboutin Heels disant asics sko cela, elle abandonnait subtilement Pandora Store un Ugg boots Sale grief Christian Louboutin Heels pour pandora jewelry store un grief Bottes Ugg Femme Pas Cher opposé. Sa main s’empara des pincettes ; elle se mit à Adidas Superstar Sale Online racler avec soin Cheap Michael Kors Tote Bag la ugg store pierre Yeezy Men du foyer.

coach factory outlet online Et Stone Island Outlet les mythes New Nike Shoes !… dit-elle du Nike Polo Sale même ton. Pourquoi Moncler Outlet Online nous déguiser, ou déguiser Nike Air Sneakers les événements Michael Kors Outlet sous des nfl store images plus grandes Nike Roshe Run que Doudoune Moncler Site Officiel nature ? Tenez, il y avait une chose que nous suivre un envoi disions là-bas, Air Max Femme quand nous prada outlet étions à Christian Louboutin Shoes Outlet Brive, New Air Max 2017 Fran?oise et Nike Outlet Store moi, à Toms Outlet Online propos womens nike air max des Adidas Originals Stan Smith gens qui Pandora Official Website avaient une trop grande propension à TOMS SHOES OUTLET raconter sur eux ce
HYst00
grand zombie

Return to Tricks & Techniques