Do you build your files in RGB or CMYK?

Photoshop/painter techniques. Brush creation and sharing. Actions. How-to's. Etc.

Moderators: Zombie Dave McCaig, Reber, Laura, Dean Welsh, Scott Johnson

Do you build your files in RGB or CMYK?

Postby TomMartinArt » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:24 pm

I'm trying to work with a colorist. I requested she send me the RGB files and she replied that
...all of my colors are done in CMYK as per the industry standard and no colorist should be coloring in or sending you RGB files unless you are producing a web series. Converting RGB files to CMYK can cause large saturation issues and distortions and other major fluctuations when the book is run by the printing company. My husband worked at one of the best small-run and magazine printing companies in Mid-West and I am very familiar with the issues this causes with both the printed colors and the black lines. Therefore, I don't use RGB at all."

Am I crazy or is this person ill-informed about RGB?? I mean, I've been winging it on my own for a long time and maybe I'm wrong, but when I was trained it was work in RGB, convert to CMYK. Any saturation problems were the fault of a heavy hand, and it just took nuance to make it work. I've known several people that seem to just adhere to CMYK when coloring because someone told them that's what you do, and their work has suffered for it. I'm 97% certain I'm doing things just fine, and that this person has been misinformed- my files convert and print well, and I can pull that nice glow-y look out of the colors. Working in CMYK seems like trying to have sex with a space suit on. ...That really is the best comparison I could come up with, and I did try.

I'd accept her CMYK files, but... they don't look very good. They look about how I'd expect CMYK files to look when the file was built in CMYK. Muddled, tan-yellow-ish-gray, dull. Nothing pops.

Do you work in CMYK, and if so do you get good results (i.e. lemme see something you built in CMYK)? Am I right, or have I been doing this wrong for seventeen years?
TomMartinArt
Fresh Meat

Re: Do you build your files in RGB or CMYK?

Postby Eagle » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:21 pm

In the year of our lord, seventeen and twenty, there is no Earthly reason for a comic book artist to work in CMYK. You may as well be binding your feet to make them look dainty. You are only crippling yourself.

Work in RGB. Turn on View->Proof Colours and Gamut Warning to check your work as you go along if you must. You can also use a CMYK colour picker if you're really determined, but it's not necessary.

When you're done, save a separate copy of your working file that contains only a single flattened layer, and convert that to CMYK. Keep your layered file as RGB to make any changes needed, then resave a flattened copy in CMYK.

Nothing works in CMYK except printing, so why fuck everything else up too just because the last piece of the work has to be in an ancient, outdated, broken, agonizing standard?
Eagle
Überzombie

Postby TomMartinArt » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:57 am

Exactly how I feel, but my financier / writer is seeing this pop up a lot and now thinks there's no clear consensus as to what's the best way, so if a colorist wants to go only CMYK, I shouldn't raise a fuss. It's mindboggling that enough people work in CMYK that this is now a thing that I have to pretend is okay.
TomMartinArt
Fresh Meat

Postby Eagle » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:47 am

Welp. That's fucked and your book's gonna look like ass. Sorry. :(
Eagle
Überzombie

Postby TomMartinArt » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:51 am

Doing my best to stave that off. We've not yet selected a colorist, but the one from the first message has been passed on. I'm going to keep fighting the good fight, but maaaan, I was hoping to worry about a colorist as little as possible.
TomMartinArt
Fresh Meat

Postby Eagle » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:02 pm

Good luck finding someone who knows what they're doing!
Eagle
Überzombie

Return to Tricks & Techniques