'Ringo gone

shoot the breeze. Movies, comics, potatoes. Whatever.

Moderators: Zombie Dave McCaig, Reber, Laura, Dean Welsh, Scott Johnson

Re: 'Ringo gone

Postby SNAKEBITE » Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:42 pm

So sad. I didn;t know him but he was so young and talented. My heart goes out to his friends and family.
SNAKEBITE
SSSsssss!

Postby Scott Johnson » Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:47 pm

Thor Badendyck wrote:There's nothing I can say right now.

I'm just ... kind of staring.

Yeah, that's how I'm feeling too.
Scott Johnson
Lurker Admin

Postby dyl » Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:19 pm

Terrible news. I used to visit his blog regularly to check out his beautiful warmup sketches. From what he wrote on there I got the impression he was a really nice bloke and modest too.
dyl
Überzombie

Postby Paul Mounts » Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:27 pm

I wanted to post earlier, but I'm still at a bit of a loss for words. I've known Mike for 10 years, talked to him fairly regularly, and there are few people I've ever met who were nicer or more passionate about comics as an art form. He never realized just how good he was, and his work improved on every job he did. He was really excited about the upcoming Tellos oversized hardcover; Todd, Mike and I all thought from the beginning that an oversized bookstore format was the best format for this story to be told in, since it was that thought that Tellos would have more appeal to a to a mainstream crowd than the comics market, and now he'll never see his most personal project released the way he always wanted. The best tribute I can think of is the last piece he ever did for Tellos, the wraparound cover for the new collection:

Paul Mounts
grand zombie

Postby Laura » Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:00 pm

Paul, that's stunning -- and a perfect tribute.

-- Laura
Laura
Crazy cat lady

Postby TomRaney » Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:05 pm

Agreed.... couldn't imagine a nicer, more appropriate remembrance.
TomRaney
Überzombie

Postby Jason Robinson » Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:43 pm

What a terrible loss. I only met Mike as a fan, when he drew some headshots in my autograph book, but loved his work. Simply as a fan, losing such a fantastic artist and role model — at such a young age — is a shock. All the more painful it is to those of you who had the pleasure to actually work with and know the man.

My condolences to you all, and to his family. :(
Jason Robinson
Überzombie

Postby Sixter » Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:06 pm

Wow, what a shock.
Oh, goodness. Look at my wrist. I gotta go.
Sixter
Überzombie

Postby Vanessa » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:28 pm

Wow... this is really really sad news. He was a great artist, and from what I've read of his posts and heard about him, he was a really great guy. He will be truly missed, and my prayers go to his friends and family. I wish them all the best. :cry:
Vanessa
Überzombie

Postby sdowner » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:36 pm

Oh God. What a loss to the industry. I didn't know him except through his blog and message boards, but he was nothing but cordial to me. I'm kinda speechless. I wish I'd had the chance to meet him in person, and even maybe get to color something for him. I've got a Fear Agent picture he drew for his blog that I've been putting off painting because I didn't think I could do it justice. God... what a loss. My prayers for his family. :(

Rest In Peace, Mike Wieringo.
sdowner
Überzombie

Postby spidey » Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:02 pm

ok people im choking up here but im sayin it

i met mike before at a small con in chicago when i was just getting into comics in the late 90's i was and still am a big fan of his work we talked for a bit to me and my friend jerald. he gave me pointers on my drawings and he told me about the anime Jo Jo's bizarre advtenture. Later on i would see him and talk to him at a few wizard world conventions here in chicago. last time i saw him was in 2005 at WW. I really admired the guy he was really cool and very approacable. And inspiring. I found out the news this evening on newsarama and was in definte shock. As a fan Mike was one of my top fav. artists. I used to snatch up most his work from Tellos to superman to spiderman. He will defintely be missed.

thats all i have to say
"With great coloring comes great critisim. . . "

Freelance colorist. See my work here http://greenelantern.deviantart.com/
spidey
Überzombie

Postby splicer » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:22 pm

This is terrible news, I remember the first time I saw his art, I thought "Wow, look at all the expression he puts into his characters."

I never met him, but my condolences go out to his friends and family, sounds like he was an outstanding person. This is very saddening... :(
splicer
Lavender Boy

Postby Trish Mulvihill » Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:01 am

Lovely way to remember him, Paul.
Trish
http://trishm.blogspot.com/
twitter: trishm
Trish Mulvihill
Channels Chick

Postby Eagle » Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:14 pm

Just wanted to say something about this. I'd love to participate, but maybe this will be enough for now.

See Scott Kurtz' blog post about Ringo if you haven't yet.

As nice as Mike was and as many friends as he had, he still lived with the regret of being unable to tell his own stories--even I could see it in his sketches. There were worlds he still wanted to explore. But to "pay the bills," he was stuck working on other people's stuff. Granted, there is probably some element of choice there: He could have maybe pushed harder, or talked to someone different, reached out to people who would have been more supportive and willing to pay him for his stories.

So if we take anything away from his passing--besides all the great memories of a great man, which I will always regret not having the chance to have--maybe it's that there should be more room in the industry to do what we want. Even if it's just from time, to time, the big companies certainly make enough money from their flagship titles to give their artists a chance to stretch and do something they really want to do without the fear of being unable to pay the bills some months or meet some draconian deadline on a big series that they should feel priviledged to work on because it's the company's biggest or whatever.

Joe Q, as far as I can tell, has already taken some steps in what I see as being the right direction by getting artists' input on what series they'd most like to work on. I don't know about anybody else, but it seems like a start, right?

Fans love the guys making the comics [well, depending who it is...]. It couldn't possibly be a bad thing to let the fans get closer to their favourite creators by letting them touch something of their own. There could even be a monthly anthology book where the big guys let their artists take a break from their regular stuff to do a little story all their own, with support staff to do whatever they can't on their own--colouring, lettering, whatever--so it doesn't look like crap [give it a real fighting chance to mean something, in other words] and let whatever goes into that anthology stay the property of the guy who came up with it. I know that's a taboo, but Jesus, Image isn't just a flash in the pan. And then, depending on fan response, some of these small stories could be given miniseries or even something longer.

Then there wouldn't be that regret. At least they give it a chance and don't have to worry about getting paid by a small-time publisher who doesn't have the marketing budget to really get the books in people's hands.

And if there isn't someone with an idea he can do right away, then just don't publish the anthology that month. Since it's just a little piece of a story, it doesn't have to take long to make, then they can get back to their regular series, or whatever. They should be given the support of pro writers to get input on pacing or other details if they're uncomfortable writing it on their own; you know not left out in the rain to sink or float completely on their own. Or maybe even publish it at the back of an issue of their regular series. I don't know the legalities involved, but I think it's worth a shot.

There are so many great stories that could be told.

Leinil Yu's Silent Dragon kicked ass so hard. Why can't Marvel and DC do that sort of thing without dumping them under subsidiary labels, or shoving them at the back of other books?

There should be pride in the artists too, but not just by showcasing what they can do for the company's main titles. You know the hours and stress involved in working for these books. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to do your own thing too?
Eagle
Überzombie

Postby Sixter » Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:41 pm

I can't stop thinking about the loss to the comics, and art community the passing of Mike Wieringo is. I always enjoyed seeing this image he used as his avatar on the rare occasions when he posted.

I always looked forward to what he had to say, and the art he posted. We need more people like Mr Wieringo in this world.
Oh, goodness. Look at my wrist. I gotta go.
Sixter
Überzombie

PreviousNext

Return to Sunshine and Rainbows