The pitch to Goldschmidt

shoot the breeze. Movies, comics, potatoes. Whatever.

Moderators: Zombie Dave McCaig, Reber, Laura, Dean Welsh, Scott Johnson

The pitch to Goldschmidt

Postby elaine95 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:17 pm

A look at what’s happening around the majors today:MATTY WOODWORKMatt Carpenter has four homers in five games heading into St. Louis’ series finale against Miami. Carpenter hit his 30th home run in a 3-2 win Monday http://www.philliesfanproshop.com/authentic-scott-kingery-jersey , becoming the first left-handed Cardinal to hit 30 home runs since Jim Edmonds hit 42 in 2004, according to ESPN Stats & Info. “I couldn’t imagine the stretch I’m putting together,” Carpenter said. “I would have never guessed that. It’s uncharted territory for me.”FIRED UPMike Fiers makes his first start since the Athletics acquired him Detroit earlier this week. The right-hander will pitch at the Coliseum against a tough opponent in Clayton Kershaw and the Los Angeles Dodgers. Fiers is 7-6 with a 3.48 ERA this season and 2-2 with a 1.96 ERA over his last seven starts.“I wasn’t really planning on going anywhere and just focused on what I had to do there. The time came and I was traded and now I’m here trying to do my job every fifth day,” he said.BOSTON BAIL OUTThe Red Sox go for their sixth straight win a night after overcoming a blown save from closer Craig Kimbrel. The Blue Jays rallied in the ninth, getting a solo homer from Justin Smoak off Kimbrel to force extra innings, only to have Ken Giles allow a three-run homer to Mitch Moreland and a two-run shot to Jackie Bradley Jr. in the 10th. It was the second blown save in four appearances for Kimbrel, though he struck out the other three batters he faced Monday.Boston, which has the best record in the majors Odubel Herrera Jersey , turns to left-hander Brian Johnson (2-3, 3.74) to keep the streak going against Toronto’s Mike Hauschild (1-0, 0.00).SCORING FOR YOThe last-place Rangers score a lot of runs when Yovani Gallardo is on the mound. Gallardo, 6-1 since rejoining Texas in mid-June for the first time since 2015, starts the series finale against Seattle. While Gallardo has a 4.76 ERA in seven starts since a no-decision in his season debut for the Rangers, they have averaged an MLB-best 11.57 runs per nine innings with the right-hander on the mound. No AL pitcher has more wins in that span. CINCINNATI (AP) — Paul Goldschmidt and the Arizona Diamondbacks powered their way to a sorely needed win.Goldschmidt hit two of Arizona’s five homers, and the Diamondbacks avoided a sweep by pounding the Cincinnati Reds 9-2 on Sunday.Daniel Descalso, Eduardo Escobar and David Peralta also connected for Arizona http://www.philliesfanproshop.com/authentic-jorge-alfaro-jersey , and Zack Godley pitched 6 2/3 innings of two-run ball. Goldschmidt finished with three hits and three RBIs, and Descalso also drove in three runs.“You don’t want to get swept,” said Descalso, who hit his first homer since June 27. “You want to win every series, but you don’t want to leave here 0-3. I don’t know if it was a must-win, but there was a little sense of urgency.”Godley (13-6) snapped a tie with Zack Greinke for the team lead in wins. The right-hander allowed six hits, struck out six and walked one while improving to 5-0 with a 3.09 ERA over his last six road starts.“Zack did a great job of setting the tone, and we played our type of game Josh Bell Jersey ,” Arizona manager Torey Lovullo said. “The right guys stepped up.”The Diamondbacks were tied with the Dodgers for the NL West lead coming into the day.Last-place Cincinnati had won three of four, including the first two games of the weekend series. Jose Peraza and Eugenio Suarez each had two hits, but Luis Castillo (6-10) was tagged for five runs and five hits in 5 2/3 innings.Homers accounted for each of Arizona’s runs. Descalso hit a three-run shot in the first on a two-strike pitch, and Goldschmidt made it 5-2 with a two-run drive in the sixth.“I was supposed to throw inside on the 0-2 pitch, but it was over the plate and he took advantage of it,” Castillo said. “The pitch to Goldschmidt, I got it where I wanted, but he’s a big strong man and put a good swing on it. I thought it was a fly ball http://www.piratesfanproshop.com/authentic-sean-rodriguez-jersey , but it kept going and going. I thought overall, I pitched well. The only mistake I made was to Descalso.”The Diamondbacks scored four more runs off Keury Mella in the ninth. Escobar hit a two-run shot, and Goldschmidt and Peralta added back-to-back homers.Joey Votto drove in Peraza with a sacrifice fly in the third. Cincinnati scored its first run when Arizona shortstop Nick Ahmed committed a throwing error on a potential double-play ball in the second, allowing Suarez to score from second.IN THE PARKGodley has not allowed a home run to any of the last 211 batters he has faced over nine games, including eight starts, since Starlin Castro went deep on June 26 at Miami.KNOWS HIS STUFFDescalso also doubled in the sixth to improve to 4 for 10 with two homers and six RBIs in his career against Castillo.UP NEXTDiamondbacks: Greinke (12-7) starts Monday night at Texas against Bartolo Colon (6-10). Greinke has allowed a combined three runs over 13 innings in his last two starts and lost both.Reds: Injury-plagued RHP Homer Bailey (1-9) makes his first start against Cleveland since Aug. 7, 2014. Mike Clevinger (7-7) pitches Monday night for Cincinnati.
elaine95
Überzombie

Return to Sunshine and Rainbows