monitors

shoot the breeze. Movies, comics, potatoes. Whatever.

Moderators: Zombie Dave McCaig, Reber, Laura, Dean Welsh, Scott Johnson

monitors

Postby MBirkhofer » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:43 am

2nd monitor might be dead.

Anyone have any recommends on whats a good buy recently?

It was an apple 23" cinema display. like 95 or so.
However, I was using it on a PC.

Quick looking at newegg. man, I probably should have just replaced it anyway. It ghosted bad. Prices on monitors look WAY cheap for what you get.
MBirkhofer
Überzombie

Re: monitors

Postby Eagle » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:39 am

If you've got a calibrator like a Spyder, you shouldn't have to worry too much about which monitor you get, as long as you stick with major brands. On Newegg, sort by Best Rating.

Look for size and a stand with more angle options, unless you've got an Ergotron arm.

This review seems to suggest Samsung has a better monitor at the moment: http://www.digitalcameraworld.com/2013/ ... d-rated/4/

But Newegg doesn't have that specific model. They do have this one, though: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6824001523

The stand's got pivot, swivel and tilt.

I've got a SyncMaster myself. A 2343 from 2009. It's starting to get a wear line from the top edge of where my browser always is for some reason, but it's close to the top of the screen where it doesn't really interfere with what I do in Photoshop much.

Mine's got an alleged 50,000:1 contrast ratio, though, whatever that's supposed to mean.
Eagle
Überzombie

Postby MBirkhofer » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:14 am

yeah, always liked Samsung electronics.

Those 27" are probably bigger then I was looking for.
Main screen is the 21" Cintiq of course.
This one is for google, references,script, tools, adobe bridge, netflix while working(ha)

Contrast ratio is weird. Not everyone uses the same standard. higher is better... but not always the same company to company. there is also dynamic and static. Like that 1000:1 listed in that link is probably comparable to a 600:1 on yours, that is calling it a 50,000:1 dynamic.

Finished this mornings work, so could look again. I "THINK" the problem with my current one, is the ADC to DVI converter. Though, can't be sure. I'm seeing prices of 90-250 for those nowadays. Guess price has gone up, since they aren't really useful anymore. And well into the range of my as well buy a new LED with all the modern features, instead of a 200$ part for an 11 year old one.
Date was more like 2002 in hindsight, not 95.
MBirkhofer
Überzombie

Postby nimesh » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:08 pm

i saw that spyder thing... i noticed the prices differ from product to product.

can you guys please help me decide on what i should get by letting me know the differences from each other?

i justwanted to calibrate my monitor to color comics on photoshop cs5
follow me on twitter or like me on facebook

My Portofolio
nimesh
Fresh Meat

Postby Eagle » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:23 pm

The PRO model lets you calibrate more than one monitor on the same computer.
Eagle
Überzombie

Postby nimesh » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:05 pm

i see, Express dosent do that? and Elite is just because of th software perfect effects?

My Portofolio
nimesh
Fresh Meat

Postby Eagle » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:19 pm

nimesh wrote:i see, Express dosent do that? and Elite is just because of th software perfect effects?

Express only lets you calibrate one monitor.

The Elite adds some software features, but you really just need to calibrate your monitor, which the Express does.
Eagle
Überzombie

Postby nimesh » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:37 pm

thank you.

ill try to see if i can get the Pro because of the more than 1 monitor thing even thou i just use one monitor.

what you guys do with second monitor?

(after this ill promisse to stop hijacking this thread)

My Portofolio
nimesh
Fresh Meat

Postby Eagle » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:00 pm

I don't yet have a second monitor. When I do, it'll be a Cintiq and I'll use this monitor for everything other than Photoshop. Reference, chat windows, email, browsing, media players, livestream control panel, whatever.
Eagle
Überzombie

Postby MBirkhofer » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:27 am

it was a good hijack/sidetrack.

only one monitor Eagles. My god.
I seriously consider 3... or more.
MBirkhofer
Überzombie

Postby Eagle » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:39 am

Well, this one's extra wide. I can have Photoshop occupy two thirds of the screen and have things next to it, but it is pretty cramped.
Eagle
Überzombie

Postby nimesh » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:50 am

thank you for your reply ;)

My Portofolio
nimesh
Fresh Meat

Postby coreyh2 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:51 pm

Make sure to get a ips panel instead of a cheaper tn one. They have a much better viewing angle and color gamut. You really have to look at reviews to see what is the best one in your price range though. If you spend more you can get a bigger color gamut. I bought a e-ips panel a few years ago that was much better then the tn panel I had. It was something like 300 dollars at the time and covered most of the s-rgb gamut. If you spend quite a bit more then that you can get a lot of of the adobe 1998 gamut.

mine is a NEC.

http://reviews.cnet.com/best-27-inch-lcd-monitors/
coreyh2
Zombie

Postby MBirkhofer » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:17 pm

http://reviews.cnet.com/lcd-monitors/de ... 02356.html
yeah, I ended up going with that Dell, in fact.^ Not a fan of Dell, but the stats on the thing for the price, as well as many good reviews on newegg.

While researching and checking prices, and tech of current monitors, I have to admit, I found myself looking at pls, various adobe rgb gamut screens, or high dps ones, ha. but, price was more then I wanted to drop. this is not my working screen, its the reference, script, netflix, etc as I said. I would rather save the 700$. If I was swimming in more cash maybe, but this summer has been brutal on my cash flow. brakelines, hot water heater, finally got health insurance, :roll:
MBirkhofer
Überzombie

Return to Sunshine and Rainbows