*Sigh* Adult Swim. I am disappoint...

shoot the breeze. Movies, comics, potatoes. Whatever.

Moderators: Zombie Dave McCaig, Reber, Laura, Dean Welsh, Scott Johnson

*Sigh* Adult Swim. I am disappoint...

Postby Dexterosity » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:04 pm

Its pretty bad when the highlight of Adult Swim's Sunday night lineup is seeing the same "Jake. From State Farm" commercial I've seen, oh, i dunno, let's just say about 9568 times already. Suffice to say; WOW, this week was bad. Across the board (as far as original programming goes). My only hope is the Loiter Squad (weirdly, one of the stand-out shows of late, despite featuring counter-culture rappers who are terrible actors, writers, directors, etc.) beginning as I write this brings me back around. [Note: Its starting out pretty well] {extra note: its a re-run. well played AS}

There's two shows I would like to talk about here, and I will start with one of my all-time favs, The Venture Bros.

I have been very impressed with writer/director/creator Jackson Pollack's turn at a fifth season so far. For a show that began as a parody of Johnny Quest and many other syndicated animation shows/comic books/sci-fi properties, this series has shown a strong ability for evolution. What began as a send-up of other properties, it is really turning into a universe that is an island unto itself; a la Marvel Comics' Ultimate Comics line (which I am a huge fan of).

Pollack has really managed to evolve the character development across the board. Brock Samson, based on JQ fan-favorite (much like Samson himself) Race Bannon, has managed to discard any preconceptions about who he should or shouldn't be and become his own man, as have the majority of the cast. Season 4 saw him leave the employment of Venture Industries and reunite with his former OSI partners, giving us a running GI Joe joke that has yet to cease being amusing/interesting so far. Similarly his interactions with Shore Leave and his Hunter S.-esque boss have progressed in a way that belies the late-night cartoon show nature of the show.

The same can be said about the rest of the cast, though at times it can seem a bit forced (Dean becoming a goth, Hank's 3 episode run in a clear reference to the Ultimates Black Widow feminine "Iron Man" suit, Sgt. Hatred has boobs, you get the point). The most properly done of this seems to be the duo of boy(not boy) genius Billy Quizboy and his albino pseudo-sidekick Pete White, who are the two characters who seem to have received the most character development while still retaining their core character traits.

Which brings me to my main point about this week's rather anti-climactic pre-season finale ep. The most striking thing about this episode was that it featured Billy with ZERO appearance by White, and only one mention of the character. This is not what broke the episode for me, but after 5 seasons of primarily featuring the duo together it just seemed odd. I don't believe it is the first episode to not feature the characters together, but it is certainly the most jarring separation of the two.

Beyond that what bothered me about this latest installment was the fact that I DID thoroughly enjoy the episode, right up to the final two minutes. The buildup towards Brock nearly inciting a Guild/OSI war being abruptly cut-off (seemingly due to time constraints) completely took me out of the experience by making it obvious that Adult Swim is a programming block, subject to limitations of time due to advertising needs and the traditional 15/30/60 min programming schedule, which is exactly what a GOOD television show distracts you from.

And while the previews for next week's episode lead one to believe the episode is a two-parter, leading into the season finale, the pacing of the episode made it feel like anything but. I can see where Pollack may have wanted to stray away from the traditional "Part One" and "To Be Continued" tropes, this was definitely a miss, rather than the hits we're used to seeing from this property.

The only upsides I can mention is that this is without question the only down-note episode from this series and that I believe the Headshot storyline has been building a slow-burn which I hope to see a big payoff from in the finale.

But hey, every television shows have bad episodes and if this is one of the small handfuls I've seen from the comedic gem that this show is, I feel like that is the best back-handed compliment I could give any artistic creation.

Side review: This week's Superjail has to be one of the most bizarre episodes of a completely already off-the-wall show. Breaking away from their usual "everybody dies at the end" structure by killing most of the characters off in the first two minutes. This one also ended in a pseudo-unannounced cliffhanger but it was one which was certainly easier to predict than the venture bros one. One of the reasons Superjail's comedy and pacing remains so strong after a couple of seasons is that it has almost zero continuity, allowing the creators to have free-reign with each ending and keeping the audience guessing every time. So the idea that they have strayed away from this to give the audience a "what will happen next?" feeling should have been a strong beat, but sadly it did not. It is like that this is because of it having followed the previously reviewed Venture Bros ep, but nonetheless this was a sub-par installment of a usually stellar cartoon.

Suffice to say, this was clearly a "dead week" for a block that, since 2000, has been entertaining fans with original, innovative, and just down right weird shows; featuring these two down-notes alongside their syndicated Fox-shows and re-runs of original properties. Without question this is not the first slow week we've seen, and assuredly won't be the last, it was a large disappointment for it to have happened with and featured unusually boring or off-putting episodes of two of its most popular programs.

Regardless, I am still sure next week will be better.
Dexterosity
Fresh Meat

Re: *Sigh* Adult Swim. I am disappoint...

Postby Eagle » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:13 pm

Um...

Welcome to the Gutter.

But why would you do this?

http://www.cod247.com/showthread.php?p=1036462
Eagle
Überzombie

Postby Dexterosity » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:11 am

Um...its a site full of comic and cartoon nerds and I thought some might find it interesting/entertaining? But yeah, I can see where it might be kinda off-topic for this section. I just didn't see a "reviews" sub-forum and it was something I'd done that I thought I could put up as I've not got my flatting samples ready and am unsure of posting my art samples just yet.

Ps, I've seen a bunch of your posts here and you know your shit, without question, good stuff.

How did you find my cod247 post btw?
Dexterosity
Fresh Meat

Postby Eagle » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:13 am

Thanks, man!

This is actually the right forum for this post.

Most people start with a greeting in this thread, though: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5

It lets us know you're a genuine human being.

We get a lot of spam bots. :?
Eagle
Überzombie

Postby Dexterosity » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:15 am

I did, I've just not had a reply yet. And humor and observation seemed to be the way I became a staple on the forum you linked, so I thought it might be a good way to ease in to here.

Plus this week just really sucked on AS and I hoped I wasn't the only one who felt that way.
Dexterosity
Fresh Meat

Postby Eagle » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:27 am

Derp! I missed that. x:

Unfortunately, I'm not in the States anymore, so I don't have access to the Cartoon Network. I have no idea what they've been up to.
Eagle
Überzombie

Postby Dexterosity » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:34 am

they're still totally rolling strong. This was just a "miss" week for them. And majorly disappointing because venture bros is the reason I turn them on every sunday. In fact, its the only thing I watch in its actual air-time (enjoying under the dome but i've been watching it online after airing despite having cable)
Dexterosity
Fresh Meat

Postby Eagle » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:00 am

I've been collecting the recent episodes of Venture Brothers, but haven't had a chance to watch past the first one of this season.

Same for Under the Dome.

I've recently discovered Longmire and have been enjoying it quite a bit. It reminds me a little of my cowboy time in Florida and Georgia and it's refreshing to see a somewhat more accurate depiction of modern Native life than is typical of the media these days.

What TV I watch these days is for background noise in a corner of my screen while I work so I don't get much opportunity to just sit and enjoy a show. Besides Adventure Time and Futurama, anyway.
Eagle
Überzombie

Return to Sunshine and Rainbows