Modbook Pro review...

shoot the breeze. Movies, comics, potatoes. Whatever.

Moderators: Zombie Dave McCaig, Reber, Laura, Dean Welsh, Scott Johnson

Modbook Pro review...

Postby Matthew Wilson » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:56 am

Hey, everyone!

I lurk here from time to time, but I hardly ever write anything. I find that if I start down the black hole that is message board commenting I'll get sucked in and never finish any work.

However, I wanted to share my thoughts on the Modbook Pro since most of you will at least be curious. Here's the link to the blog post... http://mattwilsoncolors.blogspot.com/20 ... sions.html

If you want the short version, here it is: It's really good, but just shy of being great, and it's REALLY expensive (overpriced). However, it's a nice luxury to have a Cintiq/laptop combo that is actually quite compact and very portable.

Anyhow, I hope you all find it informative and/or interesting (sadly, chances of it being both are slim). Oh, and sorry if this topic is misplaced. I wasn't sure where it should go. :/

Thanks!
Matthew Wilson
Fresh Meat

Re: Modbook Pro review...

Postby Eagle » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:23 am

Thanks for sharing!
Eagle
Überzombie

Postby Magpie » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:45 pm

Great review! It makes me not feel too bad about my asus eslate. Always wanted a modbook tho.
"No one gets everything they want in life, and that is beautiful."
Magpie
Giant Milk Dud Head

Postby TomRaney » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:29 pm

Yeah, the modbooks seem to be really nice, and being a mac guy it would be a more comfortable switch.

Which Asus slate are you using? I just picked up the eee EP121. Got it used, so it's a much more affordable option. So far I like it. But I need to get it set up for pressure sensitivity. Other than that it does what I need. Mainly layouts and such. How much of your regular work are you doing on it so far?
TomRaney
Überzombie

Postby Magpie » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:51 am

Tom!

Yeah I picked it up for mobile work. For those times when I'm on vacation but need to finish work. I've done it a few times. It works well once you get used to it. I have the eeeslate. It's pretty much just a tablet PC.

-JR
"No one gets everything they want in life, and that is beautiful."
Magpie
Giant Milk Dud Head

Postby laurelobrien » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:03 am

You guys might be interested to know that Wacom is looking to make a portable tablet, but they have a tendency to price their products through the roof (link http://frenden.tumblr.com/post/44378636263/my-reaction-upon-seeing-wacoms-facebook-post#notes). I know people who have tried the Surface Pro have found its tablet properties to be awesome, except that pressure sensitivity doesn't work in Photoshop yet. Which is merrgh. Hopefully they patch that through, I'm very interested as it costs less than a 12wx and works a functional computer.
laurelobrien
Fresh Meat

Postby Eagle » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:33 am

laurelobrien wrote:You guys might be interested to know that Wacom is looking to make a portable tablet, but they have a tendency to price their products through the roof (link http://frenden.tumblr.com/post/44378636263/my-reaction-upon-seeing-wacoms-facebook-post#notes). I know people who have tried the Surface Pro have found its tablet properties to be awesome, except that pressure sensitivity doesn't work in Photoshop yet. Which is merrgh. Hopefully they patch that through, I'm very interested as it costs less than a 12wx and works a functional computer.

I've definitely been considering the Surface Pro since Penny Arcade did their review of it.

I don't know nearly enough about Wacom's thing to know whether I'm interested in that or not.

Considering how much time I spend with my phone, the next generation of the Asus Padfone looks really interesting too, in spite of the price.

I wouldn't get it for making art-like stuff, though. Just for reading, writing, watching media and stuff.
Eagle
Überzombie

Postby TomRaney » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:11 am

Yeah, I'm very interested in what Wacom comes out with. It should be interesting to see what it does and how they price it since now they're entering an already running field. The Cintiq was kind of it's own thing, and they owned the playing field. Hopefully they are smart and don't go for the premium price, it might kill the project, since they now have viable competition.

I was looking at the Surface pro as well... very cool! So glad to see this form factor gaining some ground. Imagine, a portable device that's basically designed for artists! I snagged the Asus off of Ebay for $400, so it's a good deal cheaper than the Surface pro. If that's a concern you might want to look it up.
TomRaney
Überzombie

Return to Sunshine and Rainbows