Discussion: Preparing a GZ FAQ

shoot the breeze. Movies, comics, potatoes. Whatever.

Moderators: Zombie Dave McCaig, Reber, Laura, Dean Welsh, Scott Johnson

Discussion: Preparing a GZ FAQ

Postby Eagle » Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:35 pm

I figured, to ease Dave's burden in writing the thing, we could work out what should go into it, then he can just cobble up the important questions, answers, links, whatever, from this discussion.

Based on recent stuff I remember, please correct anything I get wrong, rewrite anything you don't like, contribute as much as possible:

===================================================================================

Q: Is it better to sign up here with a nickname or something real?

A: Recent discussions on the subject have amounted to something along these lines: It looks better if you use something real, but it doesn't have to be a full name. This helps to show you're serious and care about your involvement in this community and the industry in general: You aren't just some leeching young punk out for a giggle. monkeybutter notwithstanding.

Q: Which monitor is currently best for print work?

A:
Laura wrote:If you're looking for an LCD monitor, there is a great messageboard/site that Jaysin pointed to earlier; it compares the different types and uses of monitors, and lists which ones are best for different purposes. There is a LOT of technical information, but it's organized in very clear subsections, and explains everything you need to know about resolution, dot pitch, contrast ratio, brightness, slice/dice/julienne, etc.

AnandTech Boards: the LCD Thread -- the second post covers recommendations, categorized into different uses (office work, gaming, multimedia, print media [that's us], and so on).

Hope that helps...

-- Laura

Q: Intuos, Cintiq, other?

A: It depends what your current level of income is and how much you can realistically invest. An Intuos is your best bet as tablets go, but anything by Wacom is better than anything from anyone else. If you're just starting out, Wacom's Bamboo tablets are a good option to learn on and will hold you over for a while. They can be found at most large electronics stores [Best Buy and the like should have something]. A Cintiq is a very nice luxury, but not strictly necessary if you're comfortable with tablets and already have a very nice monitor.

Q: What size tablet is ideal?

A: [I forget what the thread was called where this was discussed...] A 6x8 Intuos is typically enough, but smaller Bamboos are good for starters. Some here who've said they have 9x12 have limited the amount of working space on them to something much smaller [I think Hollingsworth said 4x5 or something?] as the large size requires broad arm movements that can tire you out. Your wrist is perfectly capable of fine movements, so you don't need to think the biggest is the best. The 12" Cintiq is good for sketching, but apparently has some slight problems with colour correctness [if I remember right]. The 21" Cintiq is preferable, though if you can manage to get your hands on the widescreen 20" model [which was discontinued as a critical part manufacturer went bankrupt] it will probably serve you well too. The 6x11 "widescreen" Intuos, according to Dave [if I'm remembering this right], fits in a 17" laptop bag and works for carry-on while traveling.

Q: Anything about Rob Liefeld.

A: He has his very own bustling community, which you can find on his website. We're sure he'd be more than happy to hear from you.

Q: Where can I get lineart to practice on?

A: Sean Ellery and Tony Moore have tons of pages for educational purposes only. Many artists, when contacted directly, are more than happy to provide their own work.

Q: What's a good way to set up my pages for print work, such as comics?

A: There's one example clearly explained in this sticky thread. It's not the only way to do it, but will get you started and is pretty well accepted by the big publishers.

Q: What's a "Gutterzombie"?

A:
Zombie Dave McCaig wrote:Well...me for one.

Anyone who finds themselves painting or coloring at 3:00 am on a Saturday night to make a deadline. Late at night under the eerie glow of the monitor, and hopped up on industrial coffee, you too, my friend, probably look like a zombie. Comic pages have gutters. So together, thru the magic of comic book level science, the gutterzombie is born.

As a gutterzombie, I hope you will post tons of stuff, and use the site to have some fun and unwind a bit.

Q: Is this community friendly to trolls?

A:
Zombie Dave McCaig wrote:I should warn you that in order to keep the fun alive on this site, trolls will be swiftly banned. Yeah, that's right. Folks who have lots to say but nothing to back it up, or just cause trouble, I'll ban. I've seen too many great forums tank because of only one or two rotten apples. So there won't be any of "them" here for long.

Keep it respectful, (relatively) tasteful, and if you have a crit for someone, back it up!

This way, we'll all have fun and enjoy!

Q: Can I post job openings for which I do not currently have the means to pay, and/or am willing to share profits from the work's distribution?

A:
The subtext on the 'Work for hire/stuff for sale' forum label wrote:**NO POSTING FOR FREE WORK!! INCL. BACK END DEALS**

Q: But it's got a guaranteed publication deal already lined up! They're just waiting for the pages to go to print!

A: Sorry, but the answer's still no. [This should really be answered with a quoted post from Dave explaining his reasons, I forget his exact wording...]

Q: I want to post my extensive catalog of super-low-priced electronics. Is this the right place?

A: No.

Q: What are some really good tutorials relating to the comic process?

A: [Links to the various tutorials written by GZ allumni and others.]. There are some good videos in the Process subforum in the Public Gallery.

Q: How much should I expect to make from doing "X" kind of work in the comics industry?

A: That's been most recently discussed in this thread. Keep in mind the current economic climate, however. Actual results may vary. Marvel, for example, has a salary freeze in effect and starting pays are lower than could have been expected three years ago.

Q: Mac or PC?

A: That's been most recently discussed in this thread.

Q: Desktop or Laptop?

Q: Channels or Layers?

Q: How fast should I aim to be colouring comic book pages?

Q: What does it take to be a comic pro?

Q: How can I break into the comics industry?

A: That's been most recently discussed in this thread. There have also been some great personal stories about this process posted in this thread.

===================================================================================

Have at it.

The order's just rough, as things popped into my head. Not nearly organized.
Last edited by Eagle on Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eagle
Überzombie

Re: Discussion: Preparing a GZ FAQ

Postby Laura » Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:39 pm

RGB or CMYK? (sorry, I don't have a handy link to the answer)

-- Laura
Laura
Crazy cat lady

Postby Eagle » Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:42 pm

A: This thread.

Also...

Q: How can I make glows work in CMYK?

Q: What things do I need to remember when reinstalling Photoshop?

Eagle
Überzombie

Postby Eagle » Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:52 pm

It might be interesting to have a thread where you pros can post some of the settings you use in your common, everyday, general-purpose brushes. Just basic things, unless you care to share some of your unique brushes.

Also, tablet settings.
Eagle
Überzombie

Postby Vanessa » Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:58 pm

Colour holds and how to do them would be good for an FAQ.
Last edited by Vanessa on Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vanessa
Überzombie

Postby Dean Welsh » Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:59 pm

Popped it up top. Linked to this thread for the moment.
John Rauch wrote:I think it's time to change your signature.
Dean Welsh
Magical Cowboy
Magical Cowboy

Postby Eagle » Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:10 pm

Vanessa wrote:Colour holds and how to do them would be good for an FAQ.

A link to that would be under the tutorials question, which would ideally cover flatting, colouring under pencils, et cetera.

A few other questions' answers could be grouped into that list, actually...
Eagle
Überzombie

Postby Brian Frey ~ halfmoth » Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:16 pm

I think I posted this a while back, but don't remember if anyone found it useful... I'd set up an Action based on the DC Comics Guide to Coloring "Prepping for Print". (If you color in CMYK, with the lineart in the "Black Copy" Channel -- the book details all that set-up, too.)

Here's a screencap of the Action's steps (NOTE, I have it assigned to Shift-F12):

And the Action itself (drop into Photoshop-->Presets-->Photoshop Actions, or just search your machine for where other ".atn" files are located):
http://halfmoth.com/comicbooks/images/G ... ctions.atn
(right-click, choose "Save to Desktop" or whatever similar)

Is this useful to anyone? :ice:
== pleasant taste; some monsterism ==
ImageImage
Brian Frey ~ halfmoth
Überzombie

Postby Zombie Dave McCaig » Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:51 pm

Hey, this thread is a great idea, thanks guys,

I'm out of town until Wed, but once I'm back I'll go over all this!
Prepare the mental-bleach solution of two parts whiskey to two parts whisky.
Zombie Dave McCaig
Clownshoes
Clownshoes

Postby Eagle » Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:35 pm

No problem, man.
Eagle
Überzombie

Postby Ross Hughes » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:53 pm

Where is the downloads section? :ha:
Ross Hughes

Freelance Digital Colorist
Samples can be found here: My Gallery

E-mail me for rates and availability here:
Hughescolors@gmail.com

Follow me on Twitter:
@hughescoloring
Ross Hughes
Überzombie

Postby Eagle » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:04 pm

New members wouldn't have any idea that there ever was a downloads section. So as not to confuse the issue, I mentioned two places where to get pages for playing, and another question to be answered with links to tutorials.

Was there anything in the downloads section that was neither a page or tutorial? I can't remember.
Eagle
Überzombie

Postby Ross Hughes » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:13 pm

I don't remember for sure, but I don't think so. I just miss Sweeney's neon signs. ;)
Ross Hughes

Freelance Digital Colorist
Samples can be found here: My Gallery

E-mail me for rates and availability here:
Hughescolors@gmail.com

Follow me on Twitter:
@hughescoloring
Ross Hughes
Überzombie

Postby Eagle » Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:43 am

Q: Should flatters receive credit in print?

Eagle
Überzombie

Postby Eagle » Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:41 am

Q: My pages printed horribly wrong. What can I do to avoid that in the future?

A: Discussed here, the jist of which is this:

Laura wrote:You've tapped into the Bane of Colorists' Existence: Color management. It's a total pain in the ass and pretty much every colorist I know has had at least one total misprint at the beginning of their book/career/whatever. So, welcome to coloring. :)

Here's what you need to do.

1) Calibrate your monitor. I would strongly suggest investing in a calibrator like the Spyder or Eye One. Believe me, they are worth the investment. If you don't have or can't get a calibrator, and you're on a Mac, the Display preference can do a reasonable calibration. I don't know about PCs.

2) Use the 100/300 settings as recommended by Marvel. The key is to get your Photoshop settings to match the settings of the software that's creating the layout. If you're using 25/280, and the InDesign software is set to override your embedded settings at 100/300, then yeah, you're going to get a shift in color output.

3) Use Adobe RGB when you color in RGB. It's the most compatible RGB spectrum to transfer to CMYK.

4) Under View, click on Proof Setup and set it to Working CMYK. Also, turn on Proof Colors. This will provide a more accurate view of your colors onscreen.

5) When converting to CMYK, DON'T use the drop-down menu under Image! Instead, use Edit -> Convert to Profile. You get a lot more control over the conversion when you use this panel. Use the Adobe (ACE) engine, and of the other choices, try different things to see which setting converts the color intent more accurately. I usually keep mine on Relative Colorimetric, but sometimes Perceptual works better. Keep Black Point Compensation turned ON, or you might get some funky-ass blacks.

Try these steps to get you to a more accurate color conversion and more predictable color output. There will ALWAYS be some difference between what you see onscreen and what you get in print, particularly through Marvel; as you've already noticed, they're not addressing true color accuracy as well as they should. However, to put it into perspective, there are about 138 other variables which can affect your printing output just on the press, so it's not all Marvel's fault. Either way, if you get printed results that are within a 15% error margin of your on-screen colors, you are doing REALLY well.

Good luck!!

-- Laura

Q: As a flatter, is it safe to offer samples of work I've done for other colourists?

A: Discussed here, the jist of which is this:

Laura wrote:If you really want to cover your ass, send out samples that have been published already, AND have the publisher's info on them. Then you are totally safe.

But yeah. There's absolutely no problem with sending samples of your work to a prospective employer. How else are they going to rate your work?

-- Laura
Eagle
Überzombie

Next

Return to Sunshine and Rainbows