Mayan/Central/South American cool stuff

Talk politics, religion, and other heated such-and-such in here.

Moderators: Zombie Dave McCaig, Reber, Laura, Dean Welsh, Scott Johnson

Mayan/Central/South American cool stuff

Postby Zombie Dave McCaig » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:51 am

Mayan astronauts, giant pictograms, crystal skulls.

What do you guys think? I love this stuff. Nathan and I were just talking about those giant pictograms today on the way to lunch. Pretty rad.

Anyone on the board know how they got their lines so straight? What were they there for in the first place?
Prepare the mental-bleach solution of two parts whiskey to two parts whisky.
Zombie Dave McCaig
Clownshoes
Clownshoes

Re: Mayan/Central/South American cool stuff

Postby MBirkhofer » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:13 pm

I caught a program the other day, that was talking about how a number of the pictographs were directly over water sources. so its possible it was related to that.
The pictographs were over a period of like 700 years. Generation after generation doing them. Clearly it was something important enough to keep doing.

The random crazy stuff from the past is fascinating.
MBirkhofer
Überzombie

Postby Zombie Dave McCaig » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:15 pm

Nathan and I were figuring it was people talking to the gods. Like... "more corn, please" and the like.
Zombie Dave McCaig
Clownshoes
Clownshoes

Postby michael-e-w » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:21 pm

I always loved the pictograms and was fascinated by them. I read a lot about them when I was younger and used to go to the library to look up stuff on the Titanic and Loch Ness Monster (weird kid = weird adult). But an article I read recently about the Cerne Abbas giant (the "Chalk Giant" or the "Rude Man") was really interesting too. It is so old it is hard to date and even postulate why he would be made. But the more interesting point was that a) there are a number of these "drawings" around England that are just as old or older; this one just seems to draw more attention. And the families around the giant tend to it to keep away weeds and such, and no one really knows why. When the writer of the article asks, they all seem to say they never thought about it and that their parents and grandparents always did it, so they did too.
Michael E. Wiggam
Blog, Portfolio
michael-e-w
Überzombie

Postby SNAKEBITE » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:01 pm

I would get involved, but as soon as you went to the corn thing I'm totally not interested. yeah, corn. thats all the ancients were about. corn. lol and double lol.
the tzolkin, made for corn. hahahahaha oh the irony.
SNAKEBITE
SSSsssss!

Postby Zombie Dave McCaig » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:12 pm

Snakebite, the Mayans were ALL about corn. They worshiped corn, the royalty bound and shaped their head like corn, they have corn carved into pretty much every surface. They buried their dead symbolically as though to plant corn.

When I was at Chichen Itza, I was really surprised at how important corn was to their society.

Now, I admit I know nothing about the cultures famous for large pictograms, but at least know where that was coming from.
Zombie Dave McCaig
Clownshoes
Clownshoes

Postby SNAKEBITE » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:14 pm

its all about corn. They needed to build pyramids and make the tzolkin on the outer layer of the walls for...corn! I'm glad science made these conclusions.
SNAKEBITE
SSSsssss!

Postby Zombie Dave McCaig » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:18 pm

What are you getting worked up about? A Mayan professor told me this on-site. An actual Mayan.

And yes, the solar calendars WERE built because of corn. they told when the planting season and harvest seasons were.

Dude, this was supposed to be the "fun, no arguing" thread. I kinda though you might have some cool shit to lay down.
Zombie Dave McCaig
Clownshoes
Clownshoes

Postby monkeybutter » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:27 pm

SNAKEBITE wrote:its all about corn. They needed to build pyramids and make the tzolkin on the outer layer of the walls for...corn! I'm glad science made these conclusions.

It's what they ate. If there was no corn, or if the corn harvest failed, there was mass starvation. corn was central to their society. There's really nothing particularly surprising or weird about the Mayans being fixated on corn. You see the same behavior everywhere that there was one main food source.
This sig is here to make you think, hey, it's that guy again.
monkeybutter
Threadjacker

Postby robbdaman » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:31 pm

Supposedly that's what killed them in the end too, bad harvest due to weather shifts and what not. Certainly not the first civilization or people to die from starvation on this world of ours.
robbdaman
Überzombie

Postby Zombie Dave McCaig » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:33 pm

That's what my guide said- There was an unparalleled 20 year drought, and they figured killing each other off even more than usual would help. It didn't. :/

FYI, there are still shitloads of Mayans.

What really surprised me was how recent the peak of the Mayan civilization was. Chichen Itza was big between 600 AD and the early 1000's, with most of the major buildings (including the big pyramid) being erected after 1000 AD. I had always thought they developed much earlier for some reason.
Zombie Dave McCaig
Clownshoes
Clownshoes

Postby SNAKEBITE » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:12 pm

I'm not angry, I just find it funny you call yourselves scientists. its all about the corn! lol

The Danta Pyramid is the largest found, even over Giza. but there's so much more going on in the jungle all the time
that we don't have the resources to find. there's another big one that was partly destroyed, covered with dirt and someone built a church on top of it. I don't remember the name.
but the ages of the pyramids have been found to be older than 3000 years ago.

Corn was important, ofcourse. food is. but it was not the bases of their most powerful god nor was it the foundation of their calender system. the sun dial maybe, but not their calender system, the Tzolkin. that just sounds silly and coming from people who profess to be men of science it cracks me up.
SNAKEBITE
SSSsssss!

Postby Zombie Dave McCaig » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:15 pm

...ok. :/
Zombie Dave McCaig
Clownshoes
Clownshoes

Postby robbdaman » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:20 pm

That's probably the Olmecs you're talking about Snake. They were the first big civilization in South America, although technically asian cultures started migrating there thousands of years before that. Corn is just the staple food that has been so for thousands of years, definitely important. Please don't start spouting some Scientology shit or I'll vomit. :P
robbdaman
Überzombie

Postby SNAKEBITE » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:27 pm

I'm talking about the Mayans. and what does Scientology have to do with it? Jose Arguilles wrote some amazing stuff about the Mayans. Western science has plagued the findings of the Mayan temples and culture...and just because one is of mayan decent doesn't mean anything as far as ones understanding of the culture.

The Hopi's are said to be of Mayan decent. they say they are decendents of the people from the south and the Mayans said their people went north. but if you go far back enough
I'm sure we're all related. Iconic imagery, patterns in textiles, recipes etc etc guide the way.
SNAKEBITE
SSSsssss!

Next

Return to Controversial Whatnot