So ... about that nuclear power, monkeybutter ...

Talk politics, religion, and other heated such-and-such in here.

Moderators: Zombie Dave McCaig, Reber, Laura, Dean Welsh, Scott Johnson

Re: So ... about that nuclear power, monkeybutter ...

Postby Nathan » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:57 pm

monkeybutter wrote:fuck, they're evacuating most of the workers, this isn't a good sign.

the 80 people they're leaving behind basically volunteered to die so that they might continue to try to save their country from a really ugly incident. godspeed, dudes.

Yeah, it's awful. Though I think your news is a bit old -- I heard they'd evacuated the workers yesterday. The 40-50 dudes left behind are fucked. What the hell can they even do at this point?
Nathan
this guy knows to do all outstanding

Postby Eagle » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:21 am

Eagle
Überzombie

Postby monkeybutter » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:06 am

so it looks like it's all settling down.

so what have we learned here?

A cluster of 6 40-year old reactors with histories of poor maintenance gets hit by both the worst earthquake and the worst tsunami in japanese recorded history and, although it was touch & go for a bit, the end result is that some plant workers have likely received doses of radiation that will kill them in not too much time, and there seems to be a moderate amount of released radioactive fallout settling on some agricultural products in the vicinity, enough to pose a question of whether the produce is safe to eat, but not enough to make it definitely hazardous. And it's not like they were far away from the earthquake - they were like 80 miles from the epicenter, which is basically right on top of it.

And that's it. It's not the nonevent Three Mile Island was, but considering the events leading up to it, this should really drive home how safe nuclear power is.

While we're still waiting for the full picture, I'll just note that worldwide, to date 73 people died from wind power. That's 73 more people who have ever died in a nuclear power accident occurring in the western world where we make our power plants with actual containment walls - ie, discounting chernobyl.
This sig is here to make you think, hey, it's that guy again.
monkeybutter
Threadjacker

Postby Shawn Richter » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:33 am

MB, I'm not trying to make light of your stats, but I did kind of laugh out loud from this...

I'll just note that worldwide, to date 73 people died from wind power.

...it's jsut so bizarre. Of course, I also pictured it happening, (Riding mower, listening to headphones, oops!) and because I am a bad, bad man, it gave me a giggle. So, yeah, I'd get onboard with nuclear, as long as they decomission the old shitty ones...
Shawn Richter
grand zombie

Postby monkeybutter » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:22 pm

hundreds of pounds of metal and fiberglass spinning out of control? what could go wrong?!

the brakes failed in a strong wind and the rotors can't be built to withstand those kinds of forces, so it just flies apart, scattering big hunks of steel hundreds of yards. This is doublebad because sometimes they'll take out other windmills, although they try to position them so this wont happen.

most of the people were killed like this or by a tower falling on them or falling off a tower or some garbage like that.
monkeybutter
Threadjacker

Postby Thor Badendyck » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:09 pm

monkeybutter wrote:hundreds of pounds of metal and fiberglass spinning out of control?

sounds like those windmills should've been upgraded to modern safety standards. why can't hundreds of pounds of metal and fiberglass spin under control? we do build airplanes that aren't usually the giant gruesome death inducers they seem like - but occasionally are, yet we constantly use anyway.

monkeybutter wrote:most of the people were killed like this or by a tower falling on them or falling off a tower or some garbage like that.

for comparison, what are the stats on people killed in mundane, unsensational ways at nuclear plants?

anyway, updates...
http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/meast/04/11/japan.nuclear.reactors/
Without the legacy of Thor’s uncompromising ambition, this truly supreme vodka would not be available for you today.
Thor Badendyck
Custom Title Wanter Guy

Postby monkeybutter » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:28 am

Thor Badendyck wrote:sounds like those windmills should've been upgraded to modern safety standards. why can't hundreds of pounds of metal and fiberglass spin under control?

the blades are like 20 feet long, they're really strong but building them to withstand those kinds of centrifugal forces would be cost-prohibitive.

we do build airplanes that aren't usually the giant gruesome death inducers they seem like - but occasionally are, yet we constantly use anyway.

I'm not sure what you're saying here. I'm not making an argument that wind power shouldn't be used, I'm making the point that with every activity comes risk.

for comparison, what are the stats on people killed in mundane, unsensational ways at nuclear plants?

I looked around for this and couldn't find anything, if you can please post it.

Yeah, it's gotten really bad. It'll be entombed and made into a nature preserve.

I haven't been following it very closely, but i get the sense that for far too long they were treating it like they could still salvage the plant itself instead of saying "holy shit this is bad, do whatever needs to be done to shut it down." Many books will be written and much political hay will be made.
monkeybutter
Threadjacker

Postby monkeybutter » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:31 am

also a quick reminder re: anything greenpeace has to say: they're impossibly biased and have a long track record of being wildly off-base in their predictions, at least when it comes to the hard sciences.

I know they're the good guys and stuff, but they're seemingly just as willing to bend the truth to serve their goals as their opponents when it comes to things like this.
monkeybutter
Threadjacker

Postby Bill Farmer » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:04 pm

This is a pretty good interview with Dr. Michio Kaku about the developments at the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant. I am not as smart as some of you all who debate on here but I hope I am smart enough to identify the smart people. I never really put much thought into nuclear power before this. I did know that it produces a waste and could become a serious disaster if got out of hand. I assumed that safety precautions were in place to prevent anything as bad as Chernobyl accident from happening. I understand that this event has only placed about a 10th of the nuclear contamination into the environment as Chernobyl from reports so far and there wasn't a substantial explosion sending reactor material high into the atmosphere like Chernobyl. My concerns are that Fukushima accident isn't over. Not all of the available information has been released by TEPCO. The structures housing the reactors are in very bad shape, and there is still a forecasted 8.0 aftershock looming that could possibly damage the already severely damaged structures even more.

I was all about nuclear power, but I thought it was safer now, that the geniuses in charge have learned from mistakes. It seems only common sense to not light a fire that can't go out on it's own in the event you aren't there to extinguish it. The mentality feels more like a cross between arrogance and recklessness.

I would like to thank the Palo Verde Nuclear Power Plant for providing me with the electricity so I could post this rant. My heart goes out to the Japanese people. I hope people can learn from this event, and improve.

Bill Farmer
Überzombie

Postby wq123 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:34 pm

Several years ago, Cleveland michael kors canada sax michael kors purses master Ernie Krivda longchamp taschen shared colts jerseys this chi flat iron thought ralph lauren polos with boots on sale me cheap basketball shoes and christian louboutin shoes with ralph lauren outlet online the true religion jeans outlet other members of dre beats his group: Imagine, baseball jerseys if detroit pistons you will, a scenario of salomon schuhe a swinging golden state warriors jersey big band hollisterco playing swarovski crystal to nike roshe a toronto raptors jersey packed, true religion jeans women enthusiastic ballroom. 500 people abercrombie dance wildly north face jackets as air max a crowd puma online of music lovers broncos jerseys gathers around ralph lauren the bandstand to hogan cheer. utah jazz jersey A beautiful girl singer glasses online stands fred perry polos center calvin klein underwear stage, titans jerseys dressed in wholesale clothing a spectacular sequened cheap oakley sunglasses gown. stephen curry shoes The band instyler ionic styler is rolex watches for sale dressed smartly in softball bats tuxedos, with choreographed bears jerseys horn air max flashes prada outlet highlighting the driving coach purses outlet online riffs. baseball jerseys From prada the coach outlet online side of the bandstand emerges burberry handbags a man dressed in pandora a nike shoes beret burberry outlet and goatee. houston rockets jerseys He leans over to baseball jerseys the plein shoes pianist and gafas oakley whispers in los angeles clippers jersey his nike air max ear, burberry outlet online -- ralph lauren outlet Go pandora bracelet ahead soccer shoes outlet man, oakley sunglasses outlet stretch out - michael kors outlet express nike shop yourself!" chargers jerseys Jazz went north face backpacks wrong at this moment. seahawks jerseys The musicians began converse chucks playing michael kors outlet online to coach outlet online impress coach store this one hermes bags guy, ray ban zonnebril and to coach factory impress ravens jerseys each versace outlet online other. They coach outlet online forgot rayban about all ray ban sunglasses outlet of ray ban outlet those people memphis grizzlies jersey in the jimmy choo shoes audience. AND: In longchamp outlet reality, the charlotte hornets jerseys man michael kors outlet online in the timberland outlet beret was michael kors none adidas online other than BEELZEBUB, jimmy choo outlet the nike air jordan serpent michael kors outlet online from chiefs jerseys the Garden hollister kids of packers jerseys Eden. air max (Although, fred perry outlet I lions jerseys remember Ernie bengals jerseys retelling the story once and nike air max 90 identifying michael kors outlet the thomas sabo uk man as Bill Milkowski)

Is jazz art soccer shoes or entertainment? The rams jerseys Swing ralph lauren factory store Era coach outlet online was the michael kors last oakley vault time longchamp in which christian louboutin jazz red bottom shoes commanded cheap michael kors mass texans jerseys appeal. During vans shoes the bop michael kors outlet online era, an attitude developed birkenstock deutschland among giuseppe zanotti sneakers musicians true religion jeans that swarovski australia they reebok were creating jaguars jerseys art michael kors outlet music. juicy couture handbags While nba jerseys bop had little to birkenstock outlet do with the decline of fitflop outlet big bands, it air yeezy shoes also burberry sale did swarovski online little to hold on nfl jerseys to hollister clothing their burberry outlet online audience. falcons jerseys This oakley outlet may pandora canada have new balance been new balance conscious, lunette ray ban or the north face it oakley sunglasses outlet may hermes belt have asics gel been omega watches unintended. Some oakley vault modern players--Dizzy comes cheap michael kors to nike air max mind-- made nike shoes real valentino outlet attempts iphone 5s cases to entertain, but ray ban occhiali found air jordan retro the gap between fossil uhren the eagles jerseys complexities oakley sunglasses of the music armani outlet and michael kors taschen the tastes of the nike air max thea masses converse sneakers difficult watches canada to knockoff handbags bridge. the north face Dizzy's steelers jerseys audiences boston celtics jersey always true religion got a great show, but tracksuits store why oakley frogskins wasn't reloj he hilfiger online shop more hollister clothing store popular?

Promoters of modern nike roshe jazz barbour jackets have often embraced bcbg max azria its baseball bats limited omega watches appeal. oakley sunglasses Joe Segal, louboutin shoes Chicago's long champ premier presenter michael kors of adidas superstar bop roshe run for vans outlet 60 jordan release dates 2015 years, hoodies often ray ban sunglasses tells adidas online the beats by dre audiences jerseys from china at his north face outlet concerts: "You're nike shoes going sacramento kings jersey to hear nike air max some great music. If you burberry online shop find nike free run it entertaining, that's supra footwear your problem!" michael kors outlet online sale It's a joke, phoenix suns jersey but hermes then cheap nfl jerseys again, longchamp outlet is burberry outlet online it? ralph lauren Bassist Mike Barnett has nike shoes a michael kors canada favorite philadelphia 76ers jerseys phrase coach factory shop he likes to roshe run use with his minnesota timberwolves jersey fellow band members levis jeans at the end nike free 5.0 of a ralph lauren polo jazz nike air max shoes club cheap true religion set-break: air jordan shoes "Shall we cheap ray ban impress polo ralph them with our dansko outlet expertise?" longchamp outlet he says katespade sarcastically, ray bans "them" michael kors outlet online sale being handbags outlet the club rayban patrons burberry sale who buccaneers jerseys have come indoor soccer shoes to jerseys from china talk and hollister online drink, not to oakley be philipp plein outlet impressed by skillful playing.Several years mcm bags ago, ralph lauren polos Cleveland sax adidas master Ernie Krivda shared skechers outlet this thought supra footwear with orlando magic jersey me barbour outlet and skechers with air huarache the other purses and handbags members ralph lauren outlet of nike air force his group: nike roshe Imagine, new balance canada if you denver nuggets jerseys will, polo ralph lauren outlet online a mbt shoes outlet scenario of fidget spinner outlet a oakley outlet swinging nike.dk big band playing red bottoms to chi hair a montre homme packed, nike free 5.0 enthusiastic coach factory outlet ballroom. thomas sabo 500 ralph lauren people dance tommy hilfiger wildly reebok shoes outlet as a coach factory outlet crowd ray ban sonnenbrillen of music lovers gathers around the coach outlet canada bandstand to cheer. vans schuhe A redskins jerseys beautiful air max 2015 girl converse outlet singer stands center ray bans outlet stage, beats by dr dre dressed in a spectacular north face sequened gown. cleveland cavaliers The ralph lauren outlet band is dressed smartly in raiders jerseys tuxedos, mcm backpack with polo ralph lauren outlet choreographed dsquared2 sale horn ferragamo flashes highlighting michael jordan the birkenstock shoes driving riffs. From mcm backpack outlet the coach black friday side of indiana pacers jersey the nike air max bandstand mont blanc emerges a man barbour jackets outlet dressed replica watches in jerseys from china a the north face outlet beret marc by marc jacobs and coach factory goatee. He ralph lauren outlet leans iphone case over to nike free 5.0 the pianist oakley sungalsses outlet and whispers in his pandora ear, rolex -- Go ahead man, huarache stretch nike schoenen out - express yourself!" ecco outlet Jazz went wrong nike store at this michael kors outlet online sale moment. The portland trail blazers jersey musicians began playing tommy hilfiger outlet to michael kors impress true religion outlet this one guy, kate spade outlet online and to the north face impress pandora charms each other. marc by marc jacobs They bottega veneta forgot new balance about replica watches all versace outlet online of coach outlet store online those oakley canada people in www.tommyhilfiger.nl the audience. milwaukee bucks jersey AND: In oakley sunglasses reality, patriots jerseys the coach outlet man in louboutin shoes the beret polo outlet store was none other brooklyn nets jerseys than nike huarache BEELZEBUB, ray-ban sunglasses the ray ban outlet serpent new orleans pelicans jersey from the swarovski jewelry Garden ray ban of Eden. (Although, nike air max I lacoste shoes remember lunette ray ban Ernie retelling timberland boots the story once celine bags and identifying the 49ers jerseys man hogan outlet as purses and handbags Bill Milkowski)

Is nike tn jazz art adidas canada or entertainment? The northface Swing Era san antonio spurs jerseys was the timberland femme last prada sunglasses time in roshe run which jazz commanded mass air max appeal. During ralph lauren outlet the ralph lauren outlet online bop era, giants jerseys an attitude developed free running among michael kors musicians that they fivefingers were fendi handbags creating puma outlet art music. skechers While veneta bop had little ferragamo shoes to jordans do with the adidas.se decline of big stone island polos bands, vikings jerseys it cheap oakley also did burberry outlet little nike shoes outlet to hold new balance outlet on katespade to their audience. This may have michael kors uk been oakley conscious, saints jerseys or it may washington wizards jersey have been burberry unintended. Some modern players--Dizzy tommy hilfiger online comes woolrich outlet to salvatore ferragamo mind-- christian louboutin shoes made bcbg max real attempts babyliss pro to mcm handbags entertain, nike mercurial vapor but found tommy hilfiger the air max schoenen gap between nike outlet the nike.se complexities jordan retro of converse shoes the swarovski jewelry music new york knicks and the tastes of the prada shoes masses tory burch difficult to azcardinals jerseys bridge. jets jerseys Dizzy's audiences always under armour shoes got a heat jerseys great show, giuseppe shoes but ray bans why polo ralph lauren wasn't panthers jerseys he more popular?

Promoters michael kors v?skor of ray ban wayfarer modern browns jerseys jazz coach outlet online have often embraced adidas superstar its oakley sunglasses cheap limited dallas mavericks jerseys appeal. dolphins jerseys Joe ray ban wayfarer Segal, tommy hilfiger outlet stores Chicago's premier presenter longchamp handbags of juicy couture outlet bop timberland shoes for 60 cheap oakley years, often coach outlet tells the air jordan audiences pandora schmuck at his glasses frames concerts: "You're lakers jerseys going to hear michael kors some hugo boss shop great music. If you find mcm backpack it oklahoma city thunder jersey entertaining, rolex watch that's your long champ problem!" ralph lauren It's adidas superstar a joke, bills jerseys but mizuno wave then again, is burberry sale it? hogan outlet Bassist atlanta hawks jerseys Mike Barnett has nike outlet a favorite phrase barbour factory he swarovski likes barbour outlet to dsquared2 use with tory burch outlet his givenchy outlet fellow louboutin band asics members ferragamo shoes at nike schuhe the burberry outlet end ferragamo shoes uk of north face a jerseys from china jazz chicago bulls jersey club cowboys jerseys set-break: "Shall michael kors bags we prada outlet impress zapatillas nike them with our michael kors bags expertise?" ed hardy clothing he says rolex watches sarcastically, polo ralph "them" being michael kors outlet the hollister kids club patrons who have come to burberry outlet talk and drink, beats headphones not to oakley be chrome hearts impressed by skillful playing.

nfl jerseys
wq123
Zombie

Previous

Return to Controversial Whatnot