Dear Ayn Rand Advice Collumn

Talk politics, religion, and other heated such-and-such in here.

Moderators: Zombie Dave McCaig, Reber, Laura, Dean Welsh, Scott Johnson

Dear Ayn Rand Advice Collumn

Postby Eagle » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:30 pm

http://meganamram.tumblr.com/post/21230 ... yn-randers

Dear Ayn,

I’m dating a man who I think I love, but I’m afraid he’s having an affair. He comes home late, he acts suspiciously, and he even has red lipstick on his collar. Should I confront him or just hope for the best?

- County Af-fair

Dear County,

Red lipstick? Your husband is a Communist. Divorce him and sell his clothes, children, and pens to make money to spend on cars, human slaves, and bigger pens. This will simultaneously stimulate the economy and punish the slaves for not having jobs. Slaves: what lazybones!

Hope this helps,

Ayn,

Dear Ayn,

My in-laws are coming to Thanksgiving dinner at my house for the first time. I’m not great at hosting: how do I make sure we have enough food and that we all get along?

- Turkey Lurkey

Dear Lurkey,

The lavish Thanksgiving meal is a symbol of the fact that abundant consumption is the RESULT AND REWARD OF PRODUCTION. Do you see a poor “person” on the street? (NOTE: I put “person” in quotes because poor people are more like CHAIRS in my book because you should SIT on them.) Ask this “person” (read: chair) for his half-sandwich for your Thanksgiving meal. Does he not relinquish that symbol for all American pride, the half-sandwich? Does he not relinquish his half-BLT, his half-PB&J? Distract him with some sort of juvenile puppet-based theater and steal that half-sandwich. That is YOUR HALF-SANDY, for YOU ARE GOD. YOU ARE GOD. YOU ARE A GOD EATING A HALF-HAM-AND-CHEESE SANDY. Note: to be clear, it is half of a ham-and-cheese sandwich, not a whole half-ham and cheese sandwich.

Hope this helps,

Ayn

Holy shit! Hahahahahahahaha.
Eagle
Überzombie

Re: Dear Ayn Rand Advice Collumn

Postby Zombie Dave McCaig » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:27 pm

Ayn Rand's version of Objectivism is a subject I love to talk about at length in person, but not so much on the internet.

She was NOT ENTIRELY WRONG, but a long, long, long way from being right - my short summation.
Prepare the mental-bleach solution of two parts whiskey to two parts whisky.
Zombie Dave McCaig
Clownshoes
Clownshoes

Postby Eagle » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:33 pm

I must admit to a sore lack of objective information about her with which to form a proper understanding.
Eagle
Überzombie

Postby johnercek » Wed May 30, 2012 2:49 pm

I think I'm right there with you Dave on Ayn Rand. I loved some of the books but will quickly point out how flawed they were.

I describe her like this: Ayn Rand's Philosophy is filled with a lot of golden nuggets, but the moment you try to climb the mountain of knowledge, it just crumbles away from underneath you.

She did get me to see money in a new light.

I must admit to a sore lack of objective information about her with which to form a proper understanding

Sorry Eagle, but the knowledge you have is probably the best you are going to get. 1) Ayn Rand wasn't a model of integrity when it came to her behavior vs her thoughts. This also applied to her writings, I've come across a few contradictions in papers written at different times, and suspect there are more.
2) Ayn Rand is dead and her followers have reappropriated her beliefs to their own advantages. Sometimes in glaring contrast to her writings
johnercek
grand zombie

Postby Eagle » Wed May 30, 2012 3:20 pm

Yes.
Eagle
Überzombie

Postby Winterbourne » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:06 pm

Rand had a bad habit of moving goalposts so bad (vis-a-vis definitions) that the whole mess has almost no logical coherence.
Winterbourne
Überzombie

Postby Zombie Dave McCaig » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:21 am

You should watch the interviews she gave on classic talk show Donahue. She was a piece of work in person.
Zombie Dave McCaig
Clownshoes
Clownshoes

Postby Winterbourne » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:13 pm

Was that when she praised the serial killer?

She's kind of a perfect example of why not to do meth and believe your own press. Her bullshit homophobia and misogyny are perfect examples of missing the point. And she knows eff all about architecture as a field and practise.

Don't do meth and found a swiss-cheese philosophical "school," kids. Just say no.
Winterbourne
Überzombie

Postby Zombie Dave McCaig » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:05 pm

Winterbourne wrote:she knows eff all about architecture as a field and practise.

Oh yeah?

Zombie Dave McCaig
Clownshoes
Clownshoes

Postby johnercek » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:05 am

FOUND IT!

finally- the mysteries of ayn rand explained:

http://www.cracked.com/video_18426_ayn-rand-5Bplaceholder5D.html
johnercek
grand zombie

Postby johnercek » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:42 am

a friend of mine asked me what i liked about Ayn Rand- he was surprised i had made the statement. I wrote out a long response and thought others might find it interesting too:

I liked her appreciation for ground truth knowledge- dagny taggert learning about the company by working night shifts in remote railway stops and busying herself with memorizing the timetables for routes she wasn't involved in. I also liked her disdain for corporations getting involved in government- dagny's brother going to washington to try to change rules to increase the bottom line instead of just running the business. I think Ayn Rand would have been strongly against lobbying. I also liked howard roark's overall persona (switching to fountainhead here)- and sympathized strongly with him as an individual artist pursuing his goals and aesthetics regardless of the judgement of mass society (in some regards only a perception of a homogeneous judgement when in reality it isn't).
But The Fountainhead crystalized a realization and made me rethink some aspects of atlas shrugged. Ayn Rand wasn't tolerant of mistakes. Her characters don't "grow"- they are born strong. Howard Roark quits school because he's in an argument with a teacher and he knows he is right. Who does that? He later gets fired from an office job and works in a quarry. But her narration shows that he does it to prove that he can, not to learn from the experience and gain an edge on other architects. We make mistakes and learn from them- changing our personalities in the process. Her characters are rigid- always the same regardless of their environs. They are literally detached from reality (their own literal ones, and ours). She divides people into the weak and the strong and doesn't allow for weak people to pull themselves up and become strong.
Unfortunately, she was a horrible statesman for her beliefs, a hypocrite, and she didn't maintain cognitive integrity for her belief system. I agree with her that academic philosophy had become distracted in semantics, but that still didn't give her license to run roughshod over her own writings- making a mess of objectivism. She also didn't respect peoples freedom to pursue their individual desires. I suspect her skepticism of altruism is the root of this. People have the freedom to build great buildings for other people to enjoy, and she is fine with it. But to look at a mass of poor people and say "I can make their lives better"- she thinks you are weak, that you haven't made that decision yourself.
johnercek
grand zombie

Postby JarretH » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:30 pm

Love this. The godless capitalism of Ayn Rand is ripe for skewering, and has guided our national conscience and fiscal policies for far too long.
Currently writing for https://www.facebook.com/LordsOfTyberis an upcoming strategy-roleplaying video game
JarretH
Fresh Meat

Return to Controversial Whatnot