Dear Ayn Rand Advice Collumn

Talk politics, religion, and other heated such-and-such in here.

Moderators: Zombie Dave McCaig, Reber, Laura, Dean Welsh, Scott Johnson

Dear Ayn Rand Advice Collumn

Postby Eagle » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:30 pm

http://meganamram.tumblr.com/post/21230 ... yn-randers

Dear Ayn,

I’m dating a man who I think I love, but I’m afraid he’s having an affair. He comes home late, he acts suspiciously, and he even has red lipstick on his collar. Should I confront him or just hope for the best?

- County Af-fair

Dear County,

Red lipstick? Your husband is a Communist. Divorce him and sell his clothes, children, and pens to make money to spend on cars, human slaves, and bigger pens. This will simultaneously stimulate the economy and punish the slaves for not having jobs. Slaves: what lazybones!

Hope this helps,

Ayn,

Dear Ayn,

My in-laws are coming to Thanksgiving dinner at my house for the first time. I’m not great at hosting: how do I make sure we have enough food and that we all get along?

- Turkey Lurkey

Dear Lurkey,

The lavish Thanksgiving meal is a symbol of the fact that abundant consumption is the RESULT AND REWARD OF PRODUCTION. Do you see a poor “person” on the street? (NOTE: I put “person” in quotes because poor people are more like CHAIRS in my book because you should SIT on them.) Ask this “person” (read: chair) for his half-sandwich for your Thanksgiving meal. Does he not relinquish that symbol for all American pride, the half-sandwich? Does he not relinquish his half-BLT, his half-PB&J? Distract him with some sort of juvenile puppet-based theater and steal that half-sandwich. That is YOUR HALF-SANDY, for YOU ARE GOD. YOU ARE GOD. YOU ARE A GOD EATING A HALF-HAM-AND-CHEESE SANDY. Note: to be clear, it is half of a ham-and-cheese sandwich, not a whole half-ham and cheese sandwich.

Hope this helps,

Ayn

Holy shit! Hahahahahahahaha.
Eagle
Überzombie

Re: Dear Ayn Rand Advice Collumn

Postby Zombie Dave McCaig » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:27 pm

Ayn Rand's version of Objectivism is a subject I love to talk about at length in person, but not so much on the internet.

She was NOT ENTIRELY WRONG, but a long, long, long way from being right - my short summation.
Prepare the mental-bleach solution of two parts whiskey to two parts whisky.
Zombie Dave McCaig
Clownshoes
Clownshoes

Postby Eagle » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:33 pm

I must admit to a sore lack of objective information about her with which to form a proper understanding.
Eagle
Überzombie

Postby johnercek » Wed May 30, 2012 2:49 pm

I think I'm right there with you Dave on Ayn Rand. I loved some of the books but will quickly point out how flawed they were.

I describe her like this: Ayn Rand's Philosophy is filled with a lot of golden nuggets, but the moment you try to climb the mountain of knowledge, it just crumbles away from underneath you.

She did get me to see money in a new light.

I must admit to a sore lack of objective information about her with which to form a proper understanding

Sorry Eagle, but the knowledge you have is probably the best you are going to get. 1) Ayn Rand wasn't a model of integrity when it came to her behavior vs her thoughts. This also applied to her writings, I've come across a few contradictions in papers written at different times, and suspect there are more.
2) Ayn Rand is dead and her followers have reappropriated her beliefs to their own advantages. Sometimes in glaring contrast to her writings
johnercek
grand zombie

Postby Eagle » Wed May 30, 2012 3:20 pm

Yes.
Eagle
Überzombie

Postby Winterbourne » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:06 pm

Rand had a bad habit of moving goalposts so bad (vis-a-vis definitions) that the whole mess has almost no logical coherence.
Winterbourne
Überzombie

Postby Zombie Dave McCaig » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:21 am

You should watch the interviews she gave on classic talk show Donahue. She was a piece of work in person.
Zombie Dave McCaig
Clownshoes
Clownshoes

Postby Winterbourne » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:13 pm

Was that when she praised the serial killer?

She's kind of a perfect example of why not to do meth and believe your own press. Her bullshit homophobia and misogyny are perfect examples of missing the point. And she knows eff all about architecture as a field and practise.

Don't do meth and found a swiss-cheese philosophical "school," kids. Just say no.
Winterbourne
Überzombie

Postby Zombie Dave McCaig » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:05 pm

Winterbourne wrote:she knows eff all about architecture as a field and practise.

Oh yeah?

Zombie Dave McCaig
Clownshoes
Clownshoes

Postby johnercek » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:05 am

FOUND IT!

finally- the mysteries of ayn rand explained:

http://www.cracked.com/video_18426_ayn-rand-5Bplaceholder5D.html
johnercek
grand zombie

Postby johnercek » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:42 am

a friend of mine asked me what i liked about Ayn Rand- he was surprised i had made the statement. I wrote out a long response and thought others might find it interesting too:

I liked her appreciation for ground truth knowledge- dagny taggert learning about the company by working night shifts in remote railway stops and busying herself with memorizing the timetables for routes she wasn't involved in. I also liked her disdain for corporations getting involved in government- dagny's brother going to washington to try to change rules to increase the bottom line instead of just running the business. I think Ayn Rand would have been strongly against lobbying. I also liked howard roark's overall persona (switching to fountainhead here)- and sympathized strongly with him as an individual artist pursuing his goals and aesthetics regardless of the judgement of mass society (in some regards only a perception of a homogeneous judgement when in reality it isn't).
But The Fountainhead crystalized a realization and made me rethink some aspects of atlas shrugged. Ayn Rand wasn't tolerant of mistakes. Her characters don't "grow"- they are born strong. Howard Roark quits school because he's in an argument with a teacher and he knows he is right. Who does that? He later gets fired from an office job and works in a quarry. But her narration shows that he does it to prove that he can, not to learn from the experience and gain an edge on other architects. We make mistakes and learn from them- changing our personalities in the process. Her characters are rigid- always the same regardless of their environs. They are literally detached from reality (their own literal ones, and ours). She divides people into the weak and the strong and doesn't allow for weak people to pull themselves up and become strong.
Unfortunately, she was a horrible statesman for her beliefs, a hypocrite, and she didn't maintain cognitive integrity for her belief system. I agree with her that academic philosophy had become distracted in semantics, but that still didn't give her license to run roughshod over her own writings- making a mess of objectivism. She also didn't respect peoples freedom to pursue their individual desires. I suspect her skepticism of altruism is the root of this. People have the freedom to build great buildings for other people to enjoy, and she is fine with it. But to look at a mass of poor people and say "I can make their lives better"- she thinks you are weak, that you haven't made that decision yourself.
johnercek
grand zombie

Postby JarretH » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:30 pm

Love this. The godless capitalism of Ayn Rand is ripe for skewering, and has guided our national conscience and fiscal policies for far too long.
Currently writing for https://www.facebook.com/LordsOfTyberis an upcoming strategy-roleplaying video game
JarretH
Fresh Meat

Postby Tec » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:12 pm

The tenure against your real asset loan and then the prevailing sells rate should see how many desire you find the money for your home mortgage. Mostly, it's important to pay back your estate loan often called monthly instalments which you'll want to find made about either benefit plus necessary portions against your real asset loan. real estate blues
A physical activities entertainment betting strategies to you must not forget is usually to also consider the maximum spending plan you’ll choice usually while in the game the winter season, every weeks time, or in you will discover game you’re fascinated with betting with regards to. sports elate
Parrots fill your life-time with sense of humor and excellent. Watch every parrots complete your words utilizing their own agencies. It the fact is is hillarious! Often be thoughtful, while. Be convinced your wildlife don't indicate to the mother-in-law genital hsv simplex virus treatments take into account her! all uring pets
Hence, in sport activity fishing activities want just offshore gameplay offshore fishing, the fishermen always have fun with golf around no-nonsense accordance and the rules pertaining to reason but also fairness as well conserve the worthiness with fishes in the neighborhood. laws general
Some exercising puzzles that are included with ‘Faces but also Places’ but also ‘The Map for any Solar System’, manufactured through Superb U. s Marvel Supplier come with a direct book used to leverage the new tools maximum exercising benefit but also value out of jigsaw questions. educational wish
The tenure against your real asset loan and then the prevailing sells rate should see how many desire you find the money for your home mortgage. Mostly, it's important to pay back your estate loan often called monthly instalments which you'll want to find made enlight realestate
Being a great master for yourself personal finance is not actually about what is in a; it's for the capability to purchase all a skill that should highlight the best way producing innovative streams of income source and wealth in step with your capabilities and come to feel. finance achievement
Being a great master for yourself personal finance is not actually about what is in a; it's for the capability to purchase all a skill that should highlight the best way producing innovative streams of income source and wealth in step with your capabilities and come to feel. finance accurate
Yes, they can be simply. With the intention that should often be legally enforceable, the property finance loan must remain for your definite phase, and therefore, the mortgagor need the best option of reimbursement on payment for any debt or even on in advance of when the completed of the concept of a. finance addition
As so that you can why are every one of these business i actually. d. development vitamin supplements being frequently used international? The different is many of the four large perspectives: Many of the Designs, Many of the Prints, Many of the Contents, and then the Concepts. business accomplish
Debt collectors can certainly help enterprises develop their the final word considerably. Many loan companies deal with online enterprize accounts, but also charge when necessary. The fact you possess partnered by installing collection agency will almost certainly make prospects receive you significantly more seriously. about businesses
Recovering debt calls for keeping precise records pertaining to debt but also credit economical transactions, submitting apart reminder says regularly, cellphone up prospective buyers, visiting prospective buyers and common post problems. This seriously needs time frame, manpower but also money. Corporation are furthermore all not one but two. businesses above
The difficult great assortment of solutions written is definitely bewildering. Shops loaded most abundant in current around electronics put contentedly furthermore big a silk duvet dwellings variety from the comfort of India. Discounted stereo tapes but also CD are sometimes the popular researching. vast shopping
Purchase a qualification inside of a topic this fascinates you are going to. When Jean Shula inserted her career by using successful psychiatrist at 60mph two, the woman, likewise, was ready for your adventure. She's curious about the country, loves party people in the least ages but also exploring top of the line cultures, shopping transition
It is usually a amount of money silly and that you will think it is often cheap,, in truth, could most likely be useful both in the direction plus any ecosystem. A few issues that one tends to make away from your old unit wears. voilet fashion
Alright say this process. If you need desperately so that you can rotate your unwanted fat and sub-conscious photo, it might call for some more self examination truly formula. It might call for time, definitely fast roads. If you'll want some aid, get software program or connecting me. Whichever it functions. But bear in mind this: awe worthy fashion
Substantial to short-term. Some against your jeans may already want replacing especially while in the bottom section. What you can use is cut of showing it regularly into shorts. From the comfort of there, you may perform quite a few designs so that you can earn them elegant just as before. fashion lavishness
Some would make have pretty much developed an affordable hybrid, "edge-lit" OPERATED TV, manufactured to extend all a lifespan for any unit, quick grown timbers . lamp has started to die-off. While using these services is niether striper none chicken, it really is an substitute for decide upon convey who continually balance nicely in the centre! techy mobile
Time compensated learning but also understanding exactly your skill with top of the line and good old technology may off consistently over. Newest software contains extensive reward documentation but also tutorial awareness. Use the following forum to purchase the most away from your investment. daunting technology
To get launching any information methods, you here is a computer leastwise, of course. And if you ever suffer out of employees helping you, it are sometimes a smart idea that they are comfortable with the time they are complement the innovative solutions. technology aside
There unquestionably are numerous models in the watch a number of experts opt for whatever model you just think is reasonable but also good take a look at wise. Never compromise with regards to quality and get the fastrack watch to increase new spark for any personality. zestful travelling
It immediately doesn’t receive any indicating cancelling every order when it’s returning. LuckilyFree Reports or assessments, many online sites in Right here accept sales but by carrying out a cost. Miscalculations like this might quite mess you are going to up in the example of money but also time. suitable travelling
You will well gift idea it for any friend for its birthday bash. You can acquire it if from retail store or from the comfort of website. For a few purchasing software program through website the earliest couple better to assure you first evaluate the possible pictures of your particular bookbag. alone travelling
planning to assure you downsize many of the rides continue to preserve preferred amounts of comfort but also conveniences to assure you newer motorists wanting to reduce many of the carbon 12 inches prints plus budget-conscious prospective buyers attempting to identify a lower automobile and superior fuel sector. virile autos
But I actually presume the amount occurs down ultimately and next these traveler cars will take care of the primary fuel dependant on ones you can get. AlsoFeature Reports or assessments, these vehicles are season method for issue pertaining to global heating. autos energy
A six-speed yourself operated transmission is frequently normal with six-speed prompt optional. The in just is accurately and basically consists of huge gauges but also simple regulate buttons; back seat room but also cargo respiration space will be rare, even as a result. spectacular autos
Opting so that they can utilize an agent does less likely signify which unfortunately home dwelling sellers will be utterly alone although. There unquestionably are quantities pertaining to internet income who sadly are intended to help you diy traders. A handy Google glance must world-wide-web you a handful of more. adequate realestate
The top of the line GS presents satin accomplish to wheels as well as dual exhausts. Explains Lyon, “…the satin-finished tandum exhausts are incorporated into the listed below of rear end fascia while in the dramatic resolution, and help one or two car your competitive high quality check from you will discover single direction. ” realestate regal

Before, members wanted to manually apply for with each one article list, which of course took time frame and was a reasonably tedious laborious task. It also needs to be repeated any time you wanted to increase a innovative pen term. www.effectiveautos.com
When considering learn about a confidential limited enterprise registration from retaining lesser status final choice taken using a sole trader is sometimes entirely on target upon a tax gains. There will be other confidential limited enterprise advantages and even disadvantages mainly regarding limited company accounts and administration as compared to producing a super easy set with sole opportunist basic financial records. www.centbusiness.com
Tec
Fresh Meat

Return to Controversial Whatnot